Low vis buddy system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It took me several times to figure out what you were saying here (I suppose it has been a long day if I cannot understand simple english) but this is a great idea. I will have to keep that in mind if we find ourselves in just such a predicament. Typically 2 foot visability is not common where I dive unless it is the 15 feet at the surface as mentioned TSandM....seen this a couple of times.

And we always reserve the right to call the dive no matter what. First and foremost.

When towing a surface float and wanting a tether also, I put a brass ring on the float line and tie the tether to that. This allows me to run line through the ring as my depth changes, yet still only uses the one hand.

only time i was on a dive like that, we held hands. one hand on the wreck, one hand in my buddy's. it was partly for viz and partly for surge. remember, suthnbelle?

IMO, end the dive.....there's always tomorrow or another day...........What are you going to see anyway??......

IMO, end the dive.....there's always tomorrow or another day...........What are you going to see anyway??......

Tons....lion fish, dog fish, soft coral, sponge, stripers, seah horse, tons of tropicals in the summer, star fish, crabs, lobster, trash, the list goes on and on and this is all in two feet of viz from the shore in Queens NY mind you. :D

The best part is what you don't see...other divers kicking up the crud since they scrapped the dive due to low viz. Priceless. Just sit there in the muck and it all eventually just comes to you.:wink:

I've run a reel in low vis a few times and it works out well.

On one dive, three of us were looking at the twin boilers of a wreck and they were only about 15' apart. We ran a line from one boiler to the other so we could all stay together as we made our way around the boilers.

I've never run into a viz problem that bad in southeast Florida. However, I had a buddy who felt uncomfortable with a dive we were doing because of the depth and current conditions. In this instance, we linked arms and held hands during the entire dive, so we were able to communicate and/or alter depth depending on comfortableness and/or anxiety. We ended up having a great dive. There is no reason, in my opinion, to lose sight of a buddy. There are always strategies to keep in contact/visibility of people who may depend on you in an emergency (and vice versa). I'm so thankful to have excellent buddies that I dive with (and it's not accidental).

Fossils. Besides, diving is not all about what you see, although that is often part of the experience. For me, it's more about the feel of the water and the feeling of weightlessness.

Fossils. Besides, diving is not all about what you see, although that is often part of the experience. For me, it's more about the feel of the water and the feeling of weightlessness.

I am 100% with you on this Walter. And, for me, limited viz diving is a great deal of fun once in a while even if it is more stressful.....it is different (for me anyways) and makes you work for the enjoyment.

Limited viz is also the norm here. I'm in the process of making a buddy line. I'm thinking about 5 foot in length, w/permanent eye splices on both ends w/rubber tubing around the splices for added grab (thinking about gloves). If anyone has any pics of theirs, I'd like to see them.

Back
Top Bottom