LP72s Inner Lining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhuntley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey all,

Been given a set of LP72 doubles, but of course, they have a "lining" that all threads relevant to LP72s say you don't want. What is bad about this lining and would tumbling remove it?

Cheers!

Depends on whether they pass hydro and viz. If the lining is compromised, then the lining has to be removed to check the steel under it for pits, if it's not it's just another tank. Since I have not owned any of these tanks, I have not had to remove a liner which can be a PITA, but doable. I'm sure someone that has had the pleasure will chime in.

Bob

Hey all,

Been given a set of LP72 doubles, but of course, they have a "lining" that all threads relevant to LP72s say you don't want. What is bad about this lining and would tumbling remove it?

Cheers!

Tumbling will *eventually* remove the liner, but you will be quite a bit older by the time the liner is no more. :)

Tobin

One pound of 1/2 inch hex head sheet metal screws. Two pounds 80 grit tumbling media.
Tumble overnight, no more liner.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

The lining isn't compromised and passes VIP, heading off to Hydro monday. Would oxygen cleaning the tanks have a negative effect on the lining?

The lining isn't compromised and passes VIP, heading off to Hydro monday. Would oxygen cleaning the tanks have a negative effect on the lining?

O2 cleaning would certainly not damage the liner, but why do you want to O2 clean it? You have to consider the potential problem of putting 100% O2 in a tank with a potentially flammable liner. My guess is that this would be a serious no-no. Banked nitrox would be no problem, and you do not need O2 cleaning for that.

The last shop to do banked nitrox locally closed, either way, my shop only does partial pressure blending. Guess these tanks will be air only then.

The epoxy liner is a contradiction for anything above 23.5% O2. It does not mater how it got it in there. As such, Air only.

BTW - I had a pair with perfect liners. After hydro the liner got pooched cause they did not get the cylinder dried. Once the liner gets compromised they can not pass a VIS unless you tumble it out.

The epoxy liner is a contradiction for anything above 23.5% O2. It does not mater how it got it in there. As such, Air only.

BTW - I had a pair with perfect liners. After hydro the liner got pooched cause they did not get the cylinder dried. Once the liner gets compromised they can not pass a VIS unless you tumble it out.

Do you really think that after it gets run through the cylinders of a high pressure oil lubricated compressor at high speed and high temperature it is going to ignite an epoxy lining?

Do you really think that after it gets run through the cylinders of a high pressure oil lubricated compressor at high speed and high temperature it is going to ignite an epoxy lining?

It is not what I think but what the standards are. That said, when it comes to the scuba industry they often do what ever …

Back
Top Bottom