LP95 Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While it is nice for everyone posting to encourge you to just go for it, it is a little more challenging than they make it out to be. Sure you can strap on a set of doubles and dive. The extended dive gas gives you more bottom time and could get you into deco status. Do you know how to do deco? What if your right post free flows? Do you know how to isolate one tank from another. Are you competent to switch to your safe second? What if you don't have your hoses positioned correctly and they are blocking your access to your valves, how do you control your gas? Lastly, any fool can strap on a set of doubles, but it takes some training to know how to save yourself if something goes wrong. You may not require an instructor to train you, but you should have a compentent dive buddie to assist you in learning. Now, everyone reach back over your right shoulder and isolet that center post. It isn't easy.

From experience..at least find someone that knows what they are doing.

I agree. Have a buddy who is experienced with diving doubles go with you. They should be able to give some general tips on handling them (literally), and teach you the basics re valve drills. Once you know your drills and are all trimmed out it should be business as usual.

How much total diving experience do you have? How's your comfort and skill in the water..

if you are solid in a single a double will be no problem...

but if you cannot keep still in a single you might be asking for trouble....

i tried my doubles(LP104s) on my own..not that anyone should if they dont want to..
i bought them from a friend at a LDS and they were already filled bands and valves attached where he was goin to make a dive a few years before and got blown out
i was so afraid i was gone be like a turtle in its back if i ever got flipped over when i first got in the water but they are awesome.. i like to dive them as often as i can..
which isnt much..but i was surprised how well stable they felt

metaldector:
While it is nice for everyone posting to encourge you to just go for it, it is a little more challenging than they make it out to be. Sure you can strap on a set of doubles and dive. The extended dive gas gives you more bottom time and could get you into deco status. Do you know how to do deco? What if your right post free flows? Do you know how to isolate one tank from another. Are you competent to switch to your safe second? What if you don't have your hoses positioned correctly and they are blocking your access to your valves, how do you control your gas? Lastly, any fool can strap on a set of doubles, but it takes some training to know how to save yourself if something goes wrong. You may not require an instructor to train you, but you should have a compentent dive buddie to assist you in learning. Now, everyone reach back over your right shoulder and isolet that center post. It isn't easy.

Great points metaldector!

I dive double LP95's and double LP72's and never had trainning on it.. Its just a little getting used to with the added weight but nothing worth taking a class for..

metaldector, I don't think anyone is saying that it's OK to train yourself for overhead environments or deco diving. They are talking about getting the feel for it. Getting into the water, maintaining trim/buoyancy, and getting back out. Dive it like a single and stick to rec profiles. When they are ready for the next step, take the class. Then the class can focus on the advanced content and not basic buoyancy skills.

Another thing I would add, take your time & go shallow until you're comfortable with the set up. I learned this one the hard way & did my first dive deep & ran into all kinds of trouble. Here's the thread I opened on it. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=195999 . I was lucky & had some good buddies to help me pull my fat out of the fire.

Way to go Metal Dector! You can put on doubles and jump in the open water and most people do ok. But some people assemble the doubles and get in the water and don't do ok. The gear setup involved in doubles is much more involved than with a single tank if you're talking about backplates, wings, and a harness. There are many different ways to adjust this gear, and malfunctions become much more complicated. If you dive double's with no training and don't happen to run across a malfunction consider yourself lucky, and if you do get a malfunction do you know how to handle it proficiently?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom