Lungs hurt from confined dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the others but also would like to add.
The instructor told me not to worry, it will get wider underwater (makes sense).
Wetsuits do not get bigger or wider underwater, the small bubbles in the neoprene compress and get smaller making the suit tighter/snugger and thinner at depth.

As others have said, a tight wetsuit can leave you with a sore chest, but also take note of how tight your BCD is. A BCD that's too small (or otherwise not sized correctly) might feel ok when you put it on but can really squeeze you once you inflate it.

If the suit doesn't fit in the pool it won't get any better during you open water dives. Things that make it hard to breath are really, really bad during your open water course, where you are already typically a bit anxious and pretty much totally task saturated with just the list of things you need to do. Please make them find a suit that fits. Too big will be cold, but that is better then so tight you have trouble breathing.

I would echo @Pinecube in that the wetsuit being tight could be the issue as well as the BCD.

With my size and shape when I did my OW I needed a 3XL wetsuit and an XL BCD. In order to prevent the BCD sliding up my gut (slightly more curved than it should be - ok a fair bit more curved when I did OW) I ended up having to cinch it up stupid tight which meant that a full inhalation was difficult as I was fighting the jacket.

Shortly after finishing OW I bought a BP&W where there is nothing compressing my chest - what a difference.

Back
Top Bottom