Luxfer AL80 from 6/88?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolfgangmob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well took in my dad's old tank to get a hydrostatic and the guy took one look at the brand and date, told me he wouldn't fill it even if it passes inspection and neither would local dive shops. I asked him and he said the Luxfer aluminum used was a poor alloy and prone to failures, when I looked it up seems opinions are mixed between don't even bother with them to as long as it passes inspection keep using it. I was curious if anyone here knows much about these tanks as all I found from Luxfer was an article about their last trade-in program in 2003 and opinions seem to be kind of polarized.

It seems Luxfer changed alloys for their tanks in 1988. Many dive shops I've seen won't fill Luxfer tanks 1988 or older, or any other tanks made of the old 6351 alloy. Luxfer tanks newer than 1988 should be fine. Since your tank is right on the edge, I assume you'll continue to have trouble finding a shop to fill it.

There are a boatload of prior threads on these 6351 alloy cylinders.

In short... there is heightened testing and inspections procedures that do allow them to stay in service, however........

Many, maybe most shops at this point prefer not to deal with them whatsoever. In fact some are blackballing any aluminum cylinder regardless of alloy at age 20.

You may find a local shop that will accommodate it but fills if you are out of town will be hit or miss.

Unless the sentimental value of diving it is profound you may want to retire it as household decor, perhaps as a lamp base.

Pete

Looks like it will become a lovely paperweight then. I was mostly checking to see if this was a common opinion and the blackballing old AL tanks is good to know that it's most likely not worth the trouble.

It seems Luxfer changed alloys for their tanks in 1988. Many dive shops I've seen won't fill Luxfer tanks 1988 or older, or any other tanks made of the old 6351 alloy. Luxfer tanks newer than 1988 should be fine. Since your tank is right on the edge, I assume you'll continue to have trouble finding a shop to fill it.

The cut off is June 1988, the month this particular tank was made, after that they changed to 6061 alloy. Looking through their support pages the issue is sustained-load cracking that causes a leak or even a rupture when a tank is getting filled. By the time I get the tank tested though I'm about 1/4 of the cost of a new tank so probably not worth it.

Drain the air, spin the valve off and that hunk of aluminum is good for about $10 at the scrap yard if you don't even want it around.

or, with the skillful application of a band saw, you can have a deep toned wind chime, or whatever else tickles your fancy..

Back
Top Bottom