Luxfer back in the scuba business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think they just take an AL80 and fiber wrap it.
Most other fiber wrap cylinders just have a thin liner and then get wrapped for strength.

If you look on the Luxfer specs webpage you'll see that the standard Al80 and the new fiber-wrapped cylinder both have a minimum internal volume of 678 cubic inches, both hold 24.5lbs of water, and both are 26.1" tall.

The only difference is the outside diameter -- 7.3" on the standard Al80 model and 7.4" on the fiber-wrapped model.

With all the dimensions except the external diameter being the same, I'd say that they have to be the same cylinder, just one wrapped in carbon fiber...

They could also be using the same inner die with a different outer die. then just wrapping the living crap out of it.

They could also be using the same inner die with a different outer die. then just wrapping the living crap out of it.

It's guys like you that frustrate the **** out of me. I wholesaled 15,000 Luxfer aluminum cylinders a year but you still refuse to believe me. You read the specs, ask on line, and don't like the answer, so you make one up. :dork2:

That is what happens when someone is wrong and then they do everything they can to justify their answer.

Don't worry, we've all done it...it usually happens when I'm arguing with my wife and I'm in the wrong...:D

Ok, so if its a "standard" AL80 "just wrapped with fiber" then why limit the O2 content?
And you did not say your a mfgr rep, and even if someone sells 100,000 does not mean they know how the product is made. And I said "maybe" and "could", I don't know for sure.

Don't sweat the one sentence posts, just go dive some more.

Ok, so if its a "standard" AL80 "just wrapped with fiber" then why limit the O2 content?
And you did not say your a mfgr rep, and even if someone sells 100,000 does not mean they know how the product is made. And I said "maybe" and "could", I don't know for sure.

Don't sweat the one sentence posts, just go dive some more.

I might have an answer for that. Keep in mind, factories seldom explain the LEGAL reasoning for the things they say. So, here is my guess......

It is a standard aluminum 80 cylinder, then hoop-wrapped in fiber to obtain the additional wall strength. I am guessing that they limit this cylinder to air only (or the low oxygen limit specified by CGA for air) because they have not done sufficient testing to determine if higher levels of oxygen are safe at that pressure. Remember, this is not an ENGINEERING calculation....it is most likely a LEGAL calculation. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom