Luxfer or Catalina Tanks..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow.. that's a lot of info to process :D

here goes... we don't have much steel tanks in our area.

Al100s are the only ones that we have when it comes to more capacity... aside from double Al80s. but i suspect twin Al80s are more floaty at the end of the dive?

I mentioned the Catalina 100s since they have it in the diveshop nearby. but if i were to choose between Catalin 100 and Luxfer 100... should i just go luxfer?

Twin Al80s would be great.. but that would mean buyin another reg! and the manifolds.. tanks are on sale though..

I go by the "1 cf per ft of depth" rule, plus a reserve.

In your situation, I would probably go with the double AL80s. I currently use double LP72s since they are cheap & plentiful stateside.

Regarding service life of tanks. When I was getting may Catalina tanks tested the owner of the testing station said he had rarely if ever failed a Catalina but was often failing Luxfer tanks.

If I had to choose between diving double 80s or a single AL100 I'd take the 80s every day, luxfers or catalinas. Another interesting choice, although you rarely see them, might be double 63s.

Anyhow, the weight of the bands and manifold tend to offset some of the positive buoyancy of the double 80s. In general I use about the same weight for a single 80 as I do for doubles, although I have to say that I've never breathed AL80 doubles down to empty, so I don't know how they are at their most positive. I know some divers who use them in Mx that put a weight on a strap near the bottom of each tank.

To me the AL100 has pretty much everything going wrong for itself. It's bulky and floaty in the water and impressively heavy on land. Double 80s are heavier for sure, but feel much nicer in the water.

Back
Top Bottom