Luxfer tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver1102

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just purchased a used Luxfer tank, AL 63 with an original hydro test date of 6/86. but it has current hydro date of 6/07 and a current visual. should i be worried about the recall on the tanks?

What part of Michigan are you located? I have seen dive shops refuse to fill these tanks, reguardless of thier condition or inspection status:no:. Other shops do not have a problem as long as they are current in hydro & visual.
I would start with the LDS where you plan on getting fills & see what thier policy is.

Statistically millions of them are still in service and there has not been a documented catastrophic failure of a properly inspected 6351-T6 Alloy tank since eddy current/visual plus inspections were mandated in 2000. The DOT only requires the visual plus inspection every 5 years (at the hydro test) as crack growth from initial detection to failure has proven to be very slow. The Scuba industry requires the test every year, so a crack would have to be missed 6 tmes in a 5 year period for a failure to occur. Very unlikely.

But despite the legality of filling them and the statistical safety of filling properly inspected 6351-T6 tanks over the last 8 years, people get pretty vitriolic in their hatred of them and many shops will not fill them.

With regard to your tank, Luxfer switched to 6061-T6 Alloy in May 1988 so your tank is made from 6351-T6 alloy.

If you do a search for "6351-T6" you will find about 60 threads discussing the issue.

Buy yourself a couple of good used Catalinas and your problems and anxiety are over with.

Statistically millions of them are still in service and there has not been a documented catastrophic failure of a properly inspected 6351-T6 Alloy tank since eddy current/visual plus inspections were mandated in 2000.
As usual, here's the link to this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3760564-post9.html

BTW, I have one of these and as long as it continues to pass, I will continue to use it and my LDS will continue to fill it.

Or, buy a new tank for about $169. Then, drain the old tank, remove the valve (save) and drill a hole in the side before selling it to a metal recycler. Aluminum is worth money. Not a lot, but better to scrap it than have it remain in circulation. In fact, the soda can scavengers will probably take it. It takes a lot of soda cans to weigh as much as a cylinder.

Richard

I don't know of any shops in St. Clair but you can get them filled in Fair Haven at Anchor Bay Scuba, as long as they are in current hydro and vis.

As usual, here's the link to this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3760564-post9.html

BTW, I have one of these and as long as it continues to pass, I will continue to use it and my LDS will continue to fill it.
In regard to Phils leaking tank neck, he needs to have someone form the DOT look at it to determine why it leaked. It would also be important to review the specifics of the tests that were done.

That said, I have seen tanks fail in the hydro test tank with leaks through the neck - after passing an eddy current inspection which is why i feel it is important to do the test post hydro test rather than pre hydro test as the test itself can exacerbate any defect that exists.

And the failure was again not catastrophic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom