LX3 + 10 bar housing + Inon Z240

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robertojesus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I,
I Have a problem, hope somebody can elp me :)
I bought recetly an INON z240 flash to use with my panasonic lx3 and 10 Bar housing.
I did 3 dives with this set, and note that the power of flash is always the same. I use an electrical conection and when in manual mode, the flash don´t increse the power.
I think that put everything OK: the "Main Mode Switch" is in "M" position, the "Advanced Cancel Circuit Switch" is push. When I increase or decreas the "EV Control Switch" the flash shoot always with the same power.
I experienced the whole "cable + flash" a NIKON D7000 and worked well, so the problem is not the cable or the flash.
I think the problem lies either in connection shoe machine, or some setting the machine that I am not using.
Do you know if I need to change any seeting machine to work with flash?
Thanks,
Roberto Jesus

As you know, the Panasonic camera follows the Olympus ETTL flash signalling protocol. It emits a coded series of electrical pulses to communicate with the flash. These are not the older, simpler Nikonos protocol signaling, which is what the Z240 is expecting. It's like a different language. Your Z240 is probably not understanding the message, but firing on the first pulse after the preflash (my guess).

You might be able to make it work by using manual flash setting on the camera at lowest output (Forced On, 1st curtain, -2EV, appear to be the flash settings in the camera but I'm not sure if that is manual flash), so there is no preflash and no TTL control by the camera. In that case, the camera reverts to "Nikonos" protocol, but under manual settings if my reading of the specs is correct?? Adjust the z240 so there is no advanced cancel. Try that and you should be able to adjust the flash output on the flash.

For full flash TTL control, you would need an Olympus TTL Converter to translate Olympus protocol to Nikonos for your hardwired connector. You can order these from Heinrichs Weikamp, but I would suggest verifying with Matthias at HW that it will fit the housing you have:

HW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom