LX5/10bar housing... does a wide angle add-on lens work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
One of the questions I have seen is the issue of whether or not the LX-5 lens moves too much to allow an add on lens to work.

The issue is that if the lens is too far away from the front port, you get terrible results.

Well, I finally got to try one (I have the ike and the Inon).

Conditions were terrible for shooting wide angle... vis was between 10 ft and 15 ft, but it was filled with large chunks of stuff...and at 60 to 80, it was way too dark to not use a flash.

I did have to zoom out to 35mm, but that is sort of standard for these lens.

But I did try to take a few images...Josh was nice enough to pose for this shot...he was about 2.5 - 3 ft from me (you can see how it made his arms look smaller:

Panama_city_01.jpg

Only nice thing about the dirty water was that it defused the strobes so much, they actually covered the whole area (they are Oly small strobes).

If I got very far away, the water was making everything blurry, so longer distance things sucked... but I did try this one:

Panama_city_07.jpg

There is some slight blurring in the corners, but the lens thru the flat port has that... so don't think that is much of an issue.

Water is still cold here in the Gulf, so was not that much macro to take images.. but did shoot these:

panama_city_05.jpg

panama_city_04.jpg

Not a good photo day, but at least I got wet.

I tried every trick I know to reduce the backscatter... turned the strobes out, removed the defusers (the water made a rather good defuser), and even then, one could see the stuff clearly...but it did make for surprisingly uniform lighting:

panama_city_08.jpg

After putting the rubber cutout under the 10bar housing, holding it is now a dream (well, except that kevlar 5mm gloves sort of suck to hold anything smooth).

My take is they work (will try the other lens next dive trip and hope the water is better..

Oh, and Jack's i-DAS arms are still the best arms I have ever used....

Thanks for the report. Which specific lens(es) did you use?

The Ike .. will see if I can get some images with the UWL-04 this weekend, but may be playing with the case for my GH-1... will see.

So you had to zoom in from 24mm to 35mm to avoid vignette?? That's quite a bit...

Jack

Jack, I had the camera in step zoom. Wide open is 24mm... then 28, and then 35mm.

It may go away with a smaller number, but did not check, as one could just see it at 28mm.

This is the same place that you have to use with the S90...

I also did not try stopping down (ie, using manual), but would expect that would correct the small amount of blurry corners I got.

What I don't know is how much wider this is than the 24mm thru the flat port. If you pick 16 x 9, and process the images with some software besides canon's, one get a very wide, and nicely uniform field of view.

Given that the lens moves forward to go to 24mm, a dome would also be a better choice...but I had the lens.

Back
Top Bottom