Lymes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duttonv,
Lyme disease is an infection that occurs when a deer tick, infected with the bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi, bites a human being, transmitting the bacterium to that person. Patients classically present with a target-shaped rash on an arm or leg, which eventually spreads. The infected person can also complain of joint aches and malaise, when in the early stage of infection. If diagnosed early, treatment is as simple as oral antibiotics for 2-3 weeks. If the diagnosis is delayed, all bets are off. There are a number of late complications, including neurological and cardiac problems, that make early diagnosis essential.

As far as you are concerned, my answer to your question would depend on 1.)how soon after infection did you receive the proper treatment; 2.) what were the symptoms you had at time of diagnosis; and 3.) how long since treatment has it been. I have read nothing in the medical literature that would suggest that persons cannot dive after being successfully treated for early Lyme disease. During treatment, you probably should not dive, because the symptoms of joint pain common to those infected with Lyme disease might mask symptoms of DCS.

If you were treated early and successfully (meaning you took all the medicine prescribed and went back for a re-check to your doctor), and you have no residual symptoms, chances are good that you will be okay to dive. If your treatment was delayed and/or you have residual symptoms (especially the neurological ones), you should hang up the fins and go see a physician familiar with diving risks before resuming your pastime.

Good luck,
Dan
This response is for information purposes only and should not be construed, in any way, as implying a doctor-patient relationship.

There is very little to add to 'dannyboy's' excellent letter.

There is a study reported by Bill Fife, PhD on the use of HBOT for Lyme disease at http://www.hbotoday.com./treatment/lymedisease.shtml .

This article also includes a great deal of information about the disease, it's treatment and outlines some results of treatment of Lyme disease with hyperbaric oxygenation.

It is important to emphasize that Lyme disease is not one of the UHMS approved conditions for which HBOT is used.

My boss came down with Lyme's and never noticed it. Years later (Jan 2000), it broke out in the second stage, and went undiagnosed. After six months of hobbling about on a cane with extremely swollen joints and useless therapies, Lyme's was diagnosed. He was off for a stationary visit to the hospital for 5 weeks of intense antibiotic treatment. It is STILL not clear if the therapy was successful or not, but at least the joint pain is gone for the moment.

I live in an area of Europe that has a carrier tick population, and people are becoming sensitised to the danger of Lyme's disease.

This awareness should be pushed, in my opinion. It is vitally important to diagnose Lyme's as quickly as possible in order to prevent later complications.

My post is aimed at inland lake divers who spend some time in the woods going to and from their diving sites.

Do NOT underestimate tick bites, and if any of the symptoms appear as described above, or in the good article in the link, go to the doc! Better safe than sorry!

gozumutti

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom