M/V Mahtab Simeulue and Banyak Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just went on a tour from Simeulue Island to Banyak Islands June 2011.
The boat is a joke.

There was no Marine Radio, no satelite phone, in fact, no communication with other boats at all and of course No weather reports. That is just down right stupid.

The American owner and his brother did not seem to have a problem with that, but guess what... Earthquakes are common and Simeulue Island was the epicentre for that tremendous Tsunami that occured 00:58:53 UTC on Sunday, December 26, 2004.

One prop was damaged on a slip in Sumartra (we were never told why our tour was 5 days late), so the speed of the boat was 3 knots. If both motors were used (the damaged prop) the shudder in the boat would shake the fillings out of your teeth. The whole safety of the boat was an issue for me, the bouys were fastened on and they would not have been able to be used in an emergency.
The owners could have easily keep our tour group informed before we had left home or even on our arrival in Simeulue Island. We could have re booked when the boat was up to the advertised condition and ready to sail or had a full refund from our Travel Insurance. The reason why we were not told the truth alludes me
I do believe the boat was not repaired for the next group due to sail out after the 19 June 2011. As a prop was not sorced.

I can only suggest to all never to board M/V Mahtab or trust what the Williams brothers tell you.
This can be varified as this is true and factual information. The pictures are from my June 2011 trip aboard the M/V Mahtab.

The boat cruise was a sham and makes SS Minow's 3 hour cruise a pleasure.

Went to Simeulue and Banyak Islands with friends on a boat called M/V Mahtab, Indian Ocean Adventures. American brothers Scott and Carl Williams run it. Shonky, unsafe, no radio, no weather reports, no contact with other boats. Boat 5 days late for tour and could only go 3 knots, no island hopping and stuck at one break and no fishing, no diving, no tanks as promised, no kayak, dirty, uncomfortable, no cabin cleaning, cabin hot - sleeping on deck, no air con as advertised, lots broken or not on board. Tender and RIB motors unreliable and no cover from sun for photography or fishing.
No power during day so no music or DVD, no recharging cameras etc. Not what was advertised. Food ordinary. Definitely not worth the cost. Prop damaged before we left home. Could have rescheduled or rearranged travel plans. Not told whole story from the start. Offered compensation but nothing has come forward, only words. Other boats looked great. Not one to whinge, seasoned world traveller but this was just a shame. Not what you pay for and unsafe.
Stay away from the Williams brothers and Mahtab they are rip offs.

Hope the boat is up to scratch, when I was aboard june 2011 it was is a shocking state.
The boat is needing repair. There was no radio of sat phone. No communication with other boats or ports so no weather reports or warnings.
The boat is needing the basic comforts and it was filthy dirty.
MV Mahtab10.jpgCopy of lightswitch.jpgMV Mahtab1.jpgMV Mahtab2.jpgMV Mahtab4.jpgMV Mahtab5.jpgMV Mahtab6.jpgMV Mahtab7.jpgMV Mahtab9.jpg

Attachments

• lightswitch.jpg
    lightswitch.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 92
  • MV Mahtab4.jpg
    MV Mahtab4.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom