Mackinac Straits trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a look back through my log just and here's what I've found: my max depth last summer on the wreck was 129ft and I was grubbing in the mud at the bow. That's on the edge of recreational limits, but the deck is substantially higher.

There are a number of considerations on this wreck, including cold, dark and currents, all of which were issues on my last dive on the wreck (according to my log, it was possible to swim against the current, but only barely) and which means it is definitely a very advanced dive for recreational divers.

The dive is eminently doable for recreational divers, even on a single tank, but definitely at the edge of the envelope. Me, I like the safety of doubles and as long as I’m going through all the aggravation, I’d like to stay down as long as reasonably possible.

The DecoPlanner table that I ran (CF10/85) would put you in the water for 48 minutes, about as long as I like to see in the Straits:

*120 *30 TMX28/44
**70 **1 EAN50
**30 **1
**20 *12

I don't know what the PADI tables say, but it should work out to something like 15 minutes of NDL bottom time on air, a little longer on EAN28, which means that I'm paying for every extra minute on the bottom with a minute of deco.

Good points Steve.

In the great Lakes (or any big water) because of the temp and the chance of changing conditions I like to keep run times to about 60 minutes and no more than 90 for the deeper sites.

On wrecks like that (and it sounds like the depths are about the same as the Wisconsin) we dive mix. I'm kind of partial to 28/30 (same as 30/30 only we cut back on the O2 a little cuz of the cold). At that depth I'd settle for a single decompression gas either 50/50 or 100% whichever is more convenient.

I's got to thinking, I'm going to bring my "real" computer, and then we can plan our dives out like last year, but running them through v-planner too!

about the Eber Ward. Thanks Paula & Brian for the info. big-t I agree this might not be a good choice for a mixed group in regards to training and experience especially for this trip coming up. Maybe we should put this one on for next years trip and plan it for those capable of doing deco dives. Thinking of Mike's comment--we could arrange this year to get both boats for 2005 for the trip and have one boat that has non deco divers and one boat that has deco divers. We might end up diving different sites but we could all be together for the meals pre and post dive. Seems like it would be a nice get together.

jbd:
about the Eber Ward. Thanks Paula & Brian for the info. big-t I agree this might not be a good choice for a mixed group in regards to training and experience especially for this trip coming up.

Your are most welcome. & good decision.

Paula

We have three spots left for this trip. At this point it now first come firt served. If you are interested in joining us for some great diving PM me and I'll give you the details.

Hotel reservations are made. I'm sending in the contract for the boat later this week.

I have contacted the dive charter operation and told them they can accept customers for the remaining three spots on the boat for this trip. If you are interested or know of anyone who might be interested in this trip let me know. This trip is open to any diver with AOW.

Just got word from gtxl1200 that he will be joining us on this trip. Still hoping to get his regular dive buddy signed up. Currently we have two spots open.

Just got word from diverbrian. He is in on the trip now. We have one spot left.

Just got word from diver_paula. She has taken the last spot on this trip!!

We have ckharlan66, kystork, jbd, divinggal, gtxl1200, diverbrian, and diver_paula.

diver_paula is going to put together some info on the various wrecks and divinggal is bringing some books about UW archeology which I am hoping we get some time to discuss some of the techniques used in this field.

Back
Top Bottom