Macro recommendations for FIX S100 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to add a macro lens to my FIX S100 housing, and not really sure where to start! There are a lot of options. Does anyone have a recommendation to share?

I like the idea of the Inon UCL165, since you can stack two of them. I have seen some good pics from the FIX S95 case and these lenses.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share!

It probably makes sense to decide which mount you want for your combination wide and diopter before making a choice and the buying the relevant adapter
Diopters have relatively less stringent requirements in terms of chromatic aberration so I would choose which wide angle you would eventually get; check the adapter you need and then get a diopter
Other thing to consider is do you have any lenses already in your possession?

I have the FIX FIX UWL-28M52 wide angle lens, and my FIX housing comes with 52mm and 67mm adapter rings.

OK 67mm offers plenty of choice. As starter I would consider an Inon UCL165 or a reefnet subsee +5

The benefit of Inon is that they can be stacked so you can add another +3 or +6 should you need to shoot pygmy seahorses. Subsee would require you to buy a +10. Likewise FIT

What do you plan to use the diopter for?

What do you plan to use the diopter for?

That's kind of the problem... I'm not entirely sure since I haven't done ultra-macro before. In my local dives there is nothing as small as a pygmy seahorse, so I need something kind of general-purpose... but I also want to shoot the teeny tiny stuff when on vacation. :) I will probably have to take a best guess for a starter, and just see how it suits me.

Fortunately I do have a local UW photo shop, so I can talk to some other shooters in my area. Your recommendations will be a good starting point for the conversation, thanks.

Here are some of my first shot's using inon ucl165's on a Recsea housing and S100, the sea urchin and the seastar were shot with stacked 165's. I'm happy with my choice and with the images I shot on my first outing and can't wait to spend more time with them. Good luck with your decision.

IMG_0927-5.jpgIMG_0912-4.jpgIMG_0905-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom