Made up for some lost time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
May was a busy month for me. Jen graduated nursing school, my sister got married, and we went on a cruise to the Bahamas for my mother's birthday. Although we didn't go anywhere in June, it seemed like almost as busy a month. This meant diving was at a minimum for me. I actually went about 3 weeks without getting in the water!

Well, I made up for it the last 5 days. I was supposed to begin a new open water class on Thursday with a couple of students, but they ended up cancelling on me Wednesday afternoon. I wasn't too happy about the cancellation, but I was able to make up for it by doing a couple of days of guided cave dives instead! I met the diver at Cave Adventurers Thursday morning, went through introductions, loaded up one of Edd's boats, and headed over to Jackson Blue for our first dive. We did a short dive around the Horseshoe Circuit, coming back to the mainline and heading over to the 1st breakdown when he called it on air. We headed back, taking the Horseshoe Circuit back around and doing a nice effortless drift out of the cave. Visibility was a good as usual with the flow slightly down from where it's been. After a quick lunch during air fills, we headed over to Hole in the Wall to do a dive Upstream. We made it to Alford's Room where the dive was turned and a nice easy swim back was made. Water temperature went from 66-68 degrees, depending on depth, and visibility was about 30-40'. Friday had us back at Edd's to load up the boat and head back over to Hole in the Wall for a swim downstream. We did a short 1000' penetration in a steady 68 degree water with visibility no more than 30' throughout the passage. After lunch we headed over to Twin to dive the mainline circuit. Lately, Twin has been having some of the best conditions I've seen. Visibility was as far as our lights would penetrate. This ended 4 dives, each lasting almost an hour, over 2 days.

Saturday, I met with my Intro Cave students at Edd's. Here's a dive report on the weekend: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ca...ratulations-glen-larry-2-new-cave-divers.html. The class ended with 5 more dives and another 4 1/4 hours under water.

Then came Monday's dive. This dive was without clients or students. Just me and Jen going for a cave dive. We headed over to Hole in the Wall with a plan to explore the upstream section. We have both been up and down the upstream section quite a few times, but we haven't really stopped to look around and explore the nooks and side passages. We headed in and stopped in each room. While one of us stayed by the mainline, the other would swim around the room, from side to side and top to bottom, looking for other passages and different features. We spent about an hour doing this and made it back to 800' before turning the dive. I noted a couple of areas that deserve more attention on a future dive. We also plan to return and explore the last 500' of the mainline passage in the same way. Eventually, we'll be heading downstream to do this. This was a fun dive and a really great way to end 5 days of diving. 10 dives later and almost 10 hours underwater...I definitely made up for some lost time. I also have another 7 dives planned for the end of this week, a couple of them in sites new to us...

Wow, you really are hitting the water heavily dude! Sounds like the seven you have coming up are gonna be fun too.

Woo hoo!!!! Yay you and Jen!!

Good to hear from you, Rob. Sounds like you had a good time on your dives. I was wondering where you've been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom