Cave diving on CC is safer than on OC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is how they suck you in, don't listen to Bill.

Florida is just as bad you have always heard. Think of all the mosquitoes, ticks, spiders, sand fleas and no seeums that will miss out on having you around. Who will the alligator, snakes, big snapping turtles, snails, invasive pythons have to stare at? And brain eating amoeba, your brain is as good as anyones. And in winter, who will all the semi frozen giant lizards fall out of the trees on?

And THIS is a typical local businessman.

images

I'm 5th generation Floridian, believe me.

And the humidity. Can’t forget that. I was in cave country the last two Christmases. I swear if you looked at something the wrong way, it would start growing mold.

This is how they suck you in, don't listen to Bill.

Florida is just as bad you have always heard. Think of all the mosquitoes, ticks, spiders, sand fleas and no seeums that will miss out on having you around. Who will the alligator, snakes, big snapping turtles, snails, invasive pythons have to stare at? And brain eating amoeba, your brain is as good as anyones. And in winter, who will all the semi frozen giant lizards fall out of the trees on?

And THIS is a typical local businessman.

images

I'm 5th generation Floridian, believe me.

Critters v. Varmints: discuss...

This weekend went with a friend to Dinas Silica Mine in south Wales for a dive. Challenge is the 800m/half mile walk up and over a steep and rocky 50m/165ft ridge to carry the kit. This is basically two hard trips to carry your kit in and two hard trips back to the car park.

I took the rebreather+bailout; friend took a pair of 8.5 litre steels for sidemount. The rebreather is considerably heavier! Or I'm just not fit enough these days.

Diving was much easier with the rebreather. The mine layout makes a bailout perfectly feasible from anywhere. We did a 1h15 dive with my friend returning with adequate gas as per the plan. Obviously I could have carried on for another few hours.

Which is safer: neither as both have more than enough reserves.
Which is nicer to dive: the rebreather as there's no limitations (according to the plan).
Which is easier to portage to and from the site: Open Circuit as it's so much lighter.

This weekend went with a friend to Dinas Silica Mine in south Wales for a dive. Challenge is the 800m/half mile walk up and over a steep and rocky 50m/165ft ridge to carry the kit. This is basically two hard trips to carry your kit in and two hard trips back to the car park.

I took the rebreather+bailout; friend took a pair of 8.5 litre steels for sidemount. The rebreather is considerably heavier! Or I'm just not fit enough these days.

Diving was much easier with the rebreather. The mine layout makes a bailout perfectly feasible from anywhere. We did a 1h15 dive with my friend returning with adequate as per the plan. Obviously I could have carried on for another few hours.

Which is safer: neither as both have more than enough reserves.
Which is nicer to dive: the rebreather as there's no limitations (according to the plan).
Which is easier to portage to and from the site: Open Circuit as it's so much lighter.
You are over focused on “reserves”.

Which one can make you fall asleep?

You are over focused on “reserves”.

Which one can make you fall asleep?
Ah-ha, is that the one without the annoying bubbles waking you up!

There aren’t many alarms that will pull you out of all situations. I recall vibrating mouthpieces, blinking lights in your face, haptic devices on computers. Same same, not different. In the right circumstances, people can (and do) ignore all those things.

and people have still flown into terrain.

and people have still flown into terrain.

After the GPWSs became common the average amount of CFITs have dropped dramatically. In fact since it was mandated for airliners almost 50 years ago in the US there hasn't been a CFIT crash involving a GPWS equipped aircraft.

Specific targeted alarms work.

So the guys at divetalk often say that cave diving on CC is saver than OC
I do not agree with that as a blanket statement.

After the GPWSs became common the average amount of CFITs have dropped dramatically. In fact since it was mandated for airliners almost 50 years ago in the US there hasn't been a CFIT crash involving a GPWS equipped aircraft.

Specific targeted alarms work.
AA956 was CFIT because of a failed terrain escape. There have been other CFIT crashes in GPWS and TAWS equipped airplanes

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom