Which dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I guess I confused the connectors. My old Shearwater has a Fischer connector which I do not like at all, they often fail.

What about the actual Shearwter computers? They do not use a Fischer anymore? How do they get the information from cells?

The Freedom has an other connector, right?
Shearwater still sells with a Fischer but they also now have the 4-pin analog cable which is actually a high quality/reliable connector. This is the same type of subconn connector used on the DiveCAN rebreathers and is actually fit for purpose unlike the Fischers which are not rated for deep submersion.
Divesoft uses their own proprietary connector which is not necessarily ideal either because it isn't an industry standard but you aren't trying to use it on a rebreather so for you it only matters for charging, firmware upgrades, and dive logs.

Thank you very much, now I can see clear.

For me the very, very big disadvantage is the missing compass. I really like to have it in my computer and Shearwater's compass is more then good enough for what I need it for: finding my way back to the coast.

The rest of the differences between the 2 computers does not very much matter to me.

So I have 2 choices:
1) Diving the Liberty Sidemount, of course using the unit's Freedoms. As bailout I use 1 or 2 Shearwaters. Advantage: compass. Disadvantage: 2 different kinds of computers.

2) Diving Liberty/Freedom. As bailout I use 1 or 2 Freedoms. Advantage: 1 single kind of computer. Disadvantage: no compass.

Not easy to decide. If I was diving OC only my choise would be Shearwater, no doubt. But CC is more important to me. Having one single kind of computer is important to me. Having a compass is important to me too.

Really not easy to decide.....

Thank you very much, now I can see clear.

For me the very, very big disadvantage is the missing compass. I really like to have it in my computer and Shearwater's compass is more then good enough for what I need it for: finding my way back to the coast.

The rest of the differences between the 2 computers does not very much matter to me.

So I have 2 choices:
1) Diving the Liberty Sidemount, of course using the unit's Freedoms. As bailout I use 1 or 2 Shearwaters. Advantage: compass. Disadvantage: 2 different kinds of computers.

2) Diving Liberty/Freedom. As bailout I use 1 or 2 Freedoms. Advantage: 1 single kind of computer. Disadvantage: no compass.

Not easy to decide. If I was diving OC only my choise would be Shearwater, no doubt. But CC is more important to me. Having one single kind of computer is important to me. Having a compass is important to me too.

Really not easy to decide.....
Sounds like sell your unit and buy a more suitable one for your preferences and one that doesn’t need you to disable your helium sensor :wink:

I took decision, I bought 2 Freedoms. I still miss the compass but have to live with that. Thanks for all you help.

Divesoft uses their own proprietary connector which is not necessarily ideal either because it isn't an industry standard but you aren't trying to use it on a rebreather so for you it only matters for charging, firmware upgrades, and dive logs.
Are there any Divesoft-to-4PIN adapters? I am contemplating using Divesoft as a third, deco/backup, computer.

What is a 4 pin adapter? Sounds like a dive-standard which I don't know.

I have no problems with the Divesoft connector. I need any kind of connector to my dive computer so I take this connector with me, no matter what kind it is or what standard it is (or is not). As I have 2 computers I have 2 connectors so bailout is included. And Divesoft connectors look reliable, not to small, not to bulky and they seem well engineered. They SEEM.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom