Madison Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

--- I got the official news yesterday about the status of the quarry, we will be closing for September. Our last dive day for this year will be August 30th. The Water Board will begin testing their systems on September 1st and they will have to run the tests through the month.

They will not be draining the quarry, they will drop the water level about 15-20 feet from its current depth. If the tests go good for them, they can use the water during peak times. If the tests go bad, they will try to adjust the methods to get better results and possibly try again. If that doesn’t work, they will not be able to use the quarry and there has been conversations about a long term lease if that happens. Once they get the line to the river, they will not need the quarry and in that event, they have mentioned a long term lease.

The Water Board is certainly working with us and have made every effort to take care of the divers so please don’t get upset with the Water Board about this. I heard rumors that it might happen but didn’t expect it to happen during dive season. We have already discussed making arrangements for next year’s dive season and they are willing to adjust when and where they can for us to make it happen if possible.

We all knew this was coming, but just didn’t want it to.

--- The Dive Rite Tech Tour is still on for the 21st and 22nd of August. Please make arrangements to come out for that. It is going to be a great weekend and everyone should have lots of fun and get some great dives in. Rebreathers, drysuits, and everything else Dive Rite will be there for you to try.

--- Dive Sports is hosting another Night Dive and Cook Out on the 19th of August. Get in touch with Phil, Brad, or Jonathan and get added to that list.

--- We have a trip in the works for September since the quarry is closing. Do you like wrecks? How about a trip to North Carolina for some of the best wreck diving in the USA. We are getting everything in place for a weekend of Wreck diving and on the return trip stopping by the Cooper River for some Megalodon Teeth. This trip is planned for the 11th through the 13th of September. Let us know if you want to go due to the quarry being closed early this year.

--- The quarry is still open Friday through Monday until August 30th so get in and dive as much as possible this year. Please feel free to call if you have questions that I didn’t cover in this email.

--- Get out and go dive, be safe and enjoy yourself.

Britt,

Thanks for all you have done to get the Quarry up and running. Glad to here the chance of a long term soultion, and that should happen. For Madison to grow, they have to go to the river for water, just does not make sense for them not to.

You will see us this weekend!!!!

They will not be draining the quarry, they will drop the water level about 15-20 feet from its current depth. If the tests go good for them, they can use the water during peak times. If the tests go bad, they will try to adjust the methods to get better results and possibly try again. If that doesn’t work, they will not be able to use the quarry and there has been conversations about a long term lease if that happens. Once they get the line to the river, they will not need the quarry and in that event, they have mentioned a long term lease.

Thanks for the update Britt.

I remember when they did the "Pump Test" about 4 years ago. They pumped 2000 gallons an hour out, 24 hours a day for 14 days. It lowered the pool level down 12 feet. (according to those numbers that's about 672,000 gallons).

It took about 3 years for it to recover back to "full pool". So I'm not sure how they can justify installing equipment long term to pump water out of there. (unless they are planning on back filling it with river water (there goes the vis) or well water).

makes me wonder if there is "more to their plan" they aren't completely sharing. :popcorn:

The equipment being installed is not permanent, its being brought in just for the test. If everything goes good, then they may install a more permanent solution which Mr. Pounders said they will work with us so we might be able to still dive there. Either way, I was told that the water intakes would only go down 20 feet from current pool. He did mention filling it during non peak times with well water.

After working with them for the last 3 years and seeing them jump through hoops to make sure that the quarry was available for us to open for diving, I have faith that they are being up front about their plans and intentions.

Thanks for the update Britt. I'm sorry to see the quarry close for the balance of the year but it's nice to know there is a plan for next year, be it a few months of operation or (hopefully) a long term lease.

Hopefully everyone reading this thread understands that the quarry is not closing for good, just for the rest of this year. As you have stated, we knew this could happen, it just didn't seem to be happening this year.

Looking forward to the night dive and the Dive Rite Tech Tour this month. See you this weekend!

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Last edited:
--- The Dive Rite Tech Tour is still on for the 21st and 22nd of August. Please make arrangements to come out for that. It is going to be a great weekend and everyone should have lots of fun and get some great dives in. Rebreathers, drysuits, and everything else Dive Rite will be there for you to try.
Do you know who is coming from Dive Rite?

Thank you,
David

Do you know who is coming from Dive Rite?

Thank you,
David

Pete Nawrocky is my contact so I am guessing that he is going to be there. Im not sure who is going to be handling the rebreathers yet, I will call him and get more details about who is coming this week.

Myself and several other Instructors from Better Diver and other shops will be there assisting the divers.

Demetrius and Lori will be cooking up some great food (Souvlaki, burgers, chicken, and maybe some other great snacks).

Anyone have any ideas? PM them to me and we will see what we can do to make this the biggest diving event in the Tennessee Valley.

drtech.jpg

bd-logo-200.png
divesports.png
badboys.png
islandhopper.jpg

Dive Rite Tech Tour
Better Diver/Madison Quarry
Madison Alabama August 21-22 2010​

Divers can experience the complete line of Dive Rite gear including TransPacs, Transplates, wings, Dive Rite regulators, Nomad Side Mount Rig, 905 Drysuit and LED/HID lights.

New product and O2ptima clinics throughout the day. Open to all certified divers...come see what advanced diving gear can do for you!

The SCUBA Snack Shack will be open serving Souvlaki, Burgers, Chicken, Hotdogs, etc. and cold drinks and water.

We have contacted a lot of the dive shops in the Tennessee Valley. So far, this event is being sponsored and supported by the following dive shops:
Better Diver
Dive Sports
Bad Boys Dive Center
Island Hoppers

Dive Shops, If you want to join in, contact Britt.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Saturday and Sunday

9 AM REGISTRATIONS
9AM‐4PM GEAR DEMOS: Available all day long. Our techs are on hand to help you with sizing and selection based on your dive needs. Please bring your own weights, tanks, mask, fins and exposure protection.

CLINICS
Option I: O2ptima Rebreather Clinic*
This clinic is on-land and is open to everyone. *It is mandatory for divers who plan to demo the O2ptima in-water. O2ptima demo divers must be Nitrox certified. Please bring your C-Card, Space is limited. Divers will experience the O2ptima on a shallow dive with an instructor. $25 cash payment due at registration.

Option II: New Product Clinic
Lights: LED vs. HID technology
Regulators: Regulators designed for advanced diving
Accessories: New line of harness accessories

4PM CLOSE OF DAY

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom