Magnetic Scuba Tank Rack for Truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good points, all. :)

I would not be comfortable with a magnet being the only thing holding my tank down in my truck. I would not use bungees or a weak strap either. 600lbs sounds like a lot but if you shock load a tank, like during an accident, the instant force exerted on the tank plus its weight would exceed the 600lbs. When I tie a tank in my truck bed I can't shake the tank without the whole truck shaking along with it.

F * t = m*v ( force * time ( pulse ) ) = mass * velocity ..... momentum in english words

that's why are impacts (car ) so complicated :wink:

Prolonged proximity to permanent magnets will induce ionic depletion in the breathing gasses. When breathed this will result in IDS (Ion Depletion Syndrome) which is not a happy ending.

Having spent time around maglocks and seen them break free there is no vehicle sheet steel remotely sturdy and stable enough to remotely consider anchoring scuba tanks or rack with permanent magnets. The forces and diversity in application make this a "just say no" application.

It may be marginally safer than diving to 300' on air.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom