Mahahual or Xcalak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Myself and 9 of my best buds went to Xcalak a month ago for my stag weekend, we stayed and dove with Javier Salas XTC Dive Center and he is the man to go with around that area.
We went with a local guide/shop in Mahahual (Jorge - Dive Zone) to Chinchorro banks, world class diving but I will not recommend this op.... very dissapointing in all aspects.
Drop Javier a mail: javiersalas81@yahoo.com.mx , you will not be let down with his dive shop and services, his on site hotel is.... so so...
ADO to Mahahual the easiest and cheapest way to travel.
Enjoy the black coral & enormous barrel sponges @chinchorro!!

Ben

Ben, were you able to dive the ship wrecks (40 canones, etc.)? According to Costa Maya Toursit board, "Currently the wrecks cannot be dived. This has been requested by the The Banco Chinchorro Biosphere and is followed by the diving schools. Most of the wrecks are very shallow and can best be explored snorkeling".

Well it was good reading about the place i lived for 2 years and dove the Chinchorro reefs aboard the Chinchorro Diver which i captained,,at that time there were no dive shops in the area,,
all of our trips were 5 days long,,this was great diving in those days, back in 90-91,,

reading about all the new dive shops in the area,,i need to get back and look around again,
i still have all the hand drawn places i used to dive,,many good memories
i wonder if it is still the same?

Myself and 9 of my best buds went to Xcalak a month ago for my stag weekend, we stayed and dove with Javier Salas XTC Dive Center and he is the man to go with around that area.
We went with a local guide/shop in Mahahual (Jorge - Dive Zone) to Chinchorro banks, world class diving but I will not recommend this op.... very dissapointing in all aspects.
Drop Javier a mail: javiersalas81@yahoo.com.mx , you will not be let down with his dive shop and services, his on site hotel is.... so so...
ADO to Mahahual the easiest and cheapest way to travel.
Enjoy the black coral & enormous barrel sponges @chinchorro!!

Ben

What can you tell me about Dive Zone? We may use Jorge for a week in March.

Hi You all,,,,,,

i am looking for some up-dated information on CHINCHORRO BANKS,,,i have read where the diving is great still and something about the 40 cannon wreck.

how about all the other places to dive up and down the reef line,,the bank is 23 miles long and has all sorts of places to dive from one end to the other,,and also some good dives on the inside of the reef plus the west side of the area. what about the boiler wreck?

and i am trying to find out if any new laws on the taking of fish,conch and lobster. during the 2 years i ran liveaboards [Chinchorro Diver and Quintana Roo} out there the conch were all over the place,i had never seen so many. i would go out for 3-5 days and had plenty of seafood to eat.

does anyone have the latest up date info on new laws?

thanks for your help,,,,

captbill

the wetter the better:usa:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom