Mahahual, Quintana Roo-Dream Time Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone recommend some practical and economical ways to get to Majahual from Canada? For instance, what would be the best int'l airport into which to fly and then commute? What would be the best commute? Bus? Car rental?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Can anyone recommend some practical and economical ways to get to Majahual from Canada? For instance, what would be the best int'l airport into which to fly and then commute? What would be the best commute? Bus? Car rental?

You will either fly into Cancun (direct flight from US), or to Chetumal (have to connect through Mexico City). The IDO buses are the cheapest transportation to Mahahual. EasyGo car rental is the best choice for renting a vehicle if you don't want to be afoot once there.

+1 on EasyGo. We flew to Cancun and they picked us up at the airport. We kept the car a week, and drove to Mahahual and dove with Bucaneros del Caribe dive shop. The roads were really good too. We detoured over to Chichen Itza on the way back to Cancun. I wouldn't have tried that if we had to take a bus.

Someone side swiped our car one night and we found it the next morning. I had full insurance through Easyway, but was still pretty concerned with how the rental company would respond when I told them. They were really great about it and didn't give me any grief at all. I'd rent from them again without hesitation.

We used American for Mahahual but after using Easyway the year after, never used American again.

Left the car rental agency at 1ish, got stuck in traffic for 45mins (a boulder fell off a truck when it hit a tope) shopped and ate at Tulum made the 30 min trip down the beach road to the house. Just as the sun was starting to set!

Watch put for the topes!!!! You just won't see them after a few hours on the road. If mangos are in season buy LOTS at the roadside stalls. Just watch out for the tiny biting ants once in Mahahual, they love mangoes, they will get into everything. Lots of biting things there....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My wife and I will be in the Rio Bec, Chetumal, Mahahual, and Xcalak areas from Nov. 10 to 26. I have done so much research and the best deal to get there is via Cancun Airport. It will cost a bit more $$ to fly into Mexico City and then take a regional flight into Chetumal. Unless you plan to swing by Mexico City for business or pleasure.

We have already booked a car through EasyWay. Again, after tons of research and reading, Easyway seems to be the best outfit for quality and good condition rental cars, as well as acceptable customer service. If I am travelling solo and have lots of spare time, I would cosnider taking the ADO buses from CUN all the way to Mahahual or Xcalak. I have to say that the bus network throughout Mexico is very comprehensive. You have a choice of first class (with aircon) or regular (no aircon). However, if you plan to do side trips to the ruins in Xpujil or Calakmul, Balamku, etc., having a rental car will be a huge convenience. NOTE: All car renters in Mexico must purchase the Mexican 3rd party liability insurance. No ifs, no buts unless you already have such insurance acquired from a local Mexican insurer. Most if not all insurance through credit card companies only include Collision Damage Waiver. If there is 3rd party liability, it will not be acceptable in Mexico. Check with you credit card company. By law, car rental companies must include 3rd party liability insurance in the base rate. The coverage provided in the basic 3rd party liability insurance is small, around USD$4K. It may be wise or prudent to spend a little bit more on additional liability insurance or ALI to increase this coverage which may cost anywhere between $10 to $13 a day.

From the west coast I'd bet crossing the border and flying out of the US will be cheaper. In Toronto not so sure the savings are worth it considering the # of carriers flying to CUN from YYZ.

I might have posted it in this thread but the larger of the grocery "stores" sells amazing chrizo and cheese made by Mennonites in Belieze, reaaaallllly good stuff!!!

From the west coast I'd bet crossing the border and flying out of the US will be cheaper. In Toronto not so sure the savings are worth it considering the # of carriers flying to CUN from YYZ.

I might have posted it in this thread but the larger of the grocery "stores" sells a1ZE735E80376384025mazing chrizo and cheese made by Mennonites in Belieze, reaaaallllly good stuff!!!

hijack

my son and I were eating lunch on the veranda next to the old fort in Bacalar when a Mennonite couple walked past. I had to do a double take. It was about as out of place at the time as I've ever experienced. Seeing this white couple that looked like they were from the 1800s walking through the streets of Mexico with the wife walking a few feet behind the husband was just surreal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom