Mail order vs dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, in order to be good, you have to be the cheapest? Moreover, it's the outlets that are selling below MAP that are causing this issue to begin with. I don't expect to be ripped off anymore than anyone else.

I can also give you dozens of instances where consumers come into our shop for the advice and expertise, take hours of time shopping, asking questions and gathering vital information regarding products, only to buy from the lowest bidder. These same consumers will be back weeks later to have gear assembled, bench tested and repaired prior to use because of the inferior merchandise they have purchased.

I never said cheapest. That is your word. I said competitive. So it would probably depend on what your customer is looking for. If they are looking for the lowest price then that is what you need to be to make the sale. If they are looking for the best buy, then that is a little different. Sure, you have a big problem selling the Scubapro reg with msrp of $600 for the Leisurepro price of $450 (a hypothetical example). But you do have a choice. You can tell that customer that Scubapro wont let you match that price and probably watch the customer walk. Or you can give him the reg for $540 and throw in 10 tank rentals to even out the deal. Or $540 and the first 2 annual services free.

The outlet that is selling at or below MAP is not the problem. That is one of your competitors that you need to figure out how to compete with to bring customers into your store and not into his.

Why do you think a customer should buy anywhere other than at the place that gives him the best deal (again, note that I did not say cheapest). After all, where did you buy your last car?

And you probably can't always be the "best deal" every time with every customer. When you are not, perhaps you should hope he comes back to have the gear assembled or serviced, or for more training so that even if you don't profit by the sale of that gear, you can at least profit by meeting the support requirements (and maybe future sales). Or you could try to inflate prices and rip him off just to teach him (and all his friends) a lesson.

What kind of "vital information" are you giving prospective customers that is causing them to go elsewhere to buy inferior products? Sounds to me like you may be setting off their bull**** alarms.

Then there are customers like me. If I even come in your store, I'm probably only looking to buy gas but I will ask if you will sell me parts. If you are one of the very few that says yes, you will probably make some money on me and enjoy a few other customers I send your way. If not, thanks for the fill.

I think it comes down to not understanding how to be truly competitive without sacrificing cost margins. Understandable; it does require a modicum of thinking outside the box and from a customer-oriented perspective.

One of the LDSs in my area charges something, I think 35 bucks annually, to become a member of the dive club with its associated perks, benefits, and networking. Throw this in, along with some accessories or tank/equipment rentals, and you'd have a good chance at getting me to buy something from you at a higher price than I can get it from an on-line retailer or the crabby old guy running the LDS down the street complaining that online shops are putting him out of business.

After all, where did you buy your last car?

This one does not go.
Selling 10 regs making $100 profit each,or
selling 10 cars making $1000 profit each.

Lot's of people think %%%
but after all only thing that counts is the # $$$ at the end of the month.
Just to pay the bills.
ex. I can make 150% on a snorkel,but only 20% on a reg.Sure when I sell 10.000 $15 snorkels I'll be happy but selling 10 $300 regs wil not.

just my 2 cts.

This one does not go.

Just to pay the bills.
ex. I can make 150% on a snorkel,but only 20% on a reg.Sure when I sell 10.000 $15 snorkels I'll be happy but selling 10 $300 regs wil not.

just my 2 cts.

That $600 Scubapro reg wholesales for about $300. and the guy who fianally sells me a new car is usually profiting no more than $500 plus hold back. The only fallacy I really see in the comparision is the car does not last as long.

But I don't really care whether the retailer is making $1 profit or $500. I care about which retailer is willing to give me the better deal in the short run and in the long run.

This one does not go.

Just to pay the bills.

just my 2 cts.

THIS ONE does not go. who cares how much$ car dealers make? thats irelivant.
if those #s excite you then sell cars.
you gotta know deep down he's right. when you drop cash you make sure it benifits you. wether the benifit is; sleeping better cause you saved $, or cause you support your lds, or because you supported your lds and got a service bundle or whatever. you gotta go with what will benifit YOU the most. thats what keeps the market (any market) competitive. and i understand that running a dive shop isnt easy, but you know as well as i do that when it time to drop a bunch of loot, you do what benifits you not a retailer.

i'm buying a lot of equipment as i'm new to diving and need basically everything. i've bought a lot of smaller stuff from local dive shops, but i noticed that most everything is way cheaper from online places like leisure-pro. any thoughts why? besides losing the lifetime warranty.

One local shop that sells at better prices than on-line dealers is us! Wallah... give us a call... don't tell us the price you have... and see if we beat it... We already knw we do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom