Maine lobster in Redondo Canyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mech:
Roger,
On another note; bite for bite which tasted better the spiny's or the Main?
Andy

Hi Andy the claws tasted similar to crab but not as good and the tail on this big lobster was the size of one on a 1 1/2lb spiny lobster so not much meat. I will stick with the Spiny lobster with bigger tails and more meat and if I had to buy lobster I would go with the Spiny and get more tail meat for the money.

I think the claws alone weighed close to 4 lbs!

scubapro5:
Hi Andy the claws tasted similar to crab but not as good and the tail on this big lobster was the size of one on a 1 1/2lb spiny lobster so not much meat. I will stick with the Spiny lobster with bigger tails and more meat and if I had to buy lobster I would go with the Spiny and get more tail meat for the money.

I think the claws alone weighed close to 4 lbs!
for the overall size of that lobster the claws are bigger than normal.. the lobster's proportions look a bit abnormal.. The tail should have been bigger for the aparrant sizeof the carapice.. In the NE lobsters of that size typically have pretty thick tails.. That lobster also looks like it hasn't molted in a long time.. When they are growing properly they have to molt to allow growth.
Sometime the claws do get bigger than normal..

If you check out this page
http://www.northeastaquanauts.com/gallery4.htm
there are 2 11 lb lobsters, one has claws much larger than the other....

I think Roger just "told us" that he got this mutant lobster in Redondo Canyon, so as not to reveal his secret lobster spot! :eyebrow:

From the looks of that lobster, Roger was taking his boat too close to the runoff from a nuclear power plant. :11:

Christian

Wow.... looks like it's been attacked by something, also too big to be taken legally here in Maine. Maybe too big to even fit into a trap, too. Old, looks like maybe in the 40 yr range. Anyone else have an opinion of it's age?

Just by way of comparison, here are the rules we would have to follow in Maine:

The current minimum length is 3 8/32 inches. The maximum size is 5 inches.

Diving or dragging the sea floor for lobsters has been banned since 1961. Lobster may be caught in traps only.

Ouch, no diving for lobsters and a maximum size limit too.

In Massachusetts you can still dive for them. There's a size min/max, but the season is daylight hours year-round.

pasley:
The current minimum length is 3 8/32 inches.

I'm not a lobster getter, but 3 8/32 seems odd to me. I'd love to know the story behind that decision. Isn't that an awful lot like 3 1/4"? Isn't that just a baby?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom