Makes me go hmmm...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jghflash

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a technical reason why Canon and FIX use a rectangular port on the front of the housings for the G series cameras? I've scratched my head but can't figure it out. :idk:

I think it is just looks but why does it matter? The G series cameras are horrid for adaptation to accessory lenses, port shape aside, it just does not work. The FIX/Recsea do have a dry port with a wide angle built in, otherwise you are stuck using Velcro and bubble gum and rubber bands to hold weird adapters in place to mount lenses that don't work well or even at all with the G series.

N

Good point......it sure eliminates you having an option to use accessory lenses. I suppose they know it won't work so that keeps you from trying! There had to be some logic to it if Canon AND fix do the same unusual thing to their housings. Thanks.

I've wondered too. The reason seems to be to allow the internal flash to illuminate the diffuser and not be blocked, as it would be by a fully round port.

Is there a technical reason why Canon and FIX use a rectangular port on the front of the housings for the G series cameras?
Just guessing, but it probably has something to do it with taking "rectangular" pictures. :D (Sorry, but I just had to go there.)

I don't have a G series to test with but most likely the glazed opening is probably the absolute minimal opening that can be used without vignetting at wide angle. The length of the 140mm telephoto lens pushes the glass so far out that the opening simply had to be that huge. If you have one to test with, you might check to see if there is any excess in the size of the opening by masking off the edges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom