Making my own DIY Action Camera UW Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I'm planning on making my own housing for an Action Camera which is typically attached to motorcycles or helmets. The plan is to simply have a cylinder of schedule 80 pvc with caps on each end, and some handles which I will simply glue on with some pvc glue. Inside the cylinder, my plan is to have a foam insert which can be split in half for easy access to components. There will be either 6 or 8 high power LED's wired in parallel, this is where the insert will really shine, because I will be able to keep all my wires tucked inside grooves so they wont be moving around when I take out the insert. All the LED's will go to either one single battery, or more than likely two NiMh batteries resting inside the back end of the insert. In the center of the front end of the insert will be where the action camera will rest. The plan is to simply put in the batteries, plug in the lights, and turn on the camera before a dive. Then, I'll just replace the top half of the foam insert (its cut lengthwise) and slip it into the tube. Replace the back cap which has an O ring seated at the bottom of the threads, and I should be good to go. Heres a simple drawing of the concept....

So I have a few questions.

1) Can anyone suggest some good, high power LED's that should provide enough lighting for the setup?

2) My idea with the insert is that A) it will keep things from shifting inside, and B) The foam would take up more airspace, so I wouldnt have to attach as much weight in the end even though it has some air trapped within it. I could even hollow out portions of the insert for lead weights if needed.

3) I am still trying to work out exactly how to do the front cap. It will have a total of 7 ports on it, 6 for LED's, and 1 for the camera. I was thinking about just drilling out those holes, and then possibly glueing in a piece of Plexi the same diameter as the cap, and possibly having an O ring between it and the foam as added leak protection. My only concern is the possibility of the LED's reflecting off the inside of the plexi and back into the camera.

P.S: I chose the action camera because for one, I already had one which is sitting around. Also, its battery operated and records for an hour or more at a time, so I wont need to have it draining on the batteries as well. Finally, it is already water resistant with a few O rings, so if a leak does spring up, I should be able to get it back to the surface one way or another.

Any suggestions?

Toga

I have a little keychain spy camera that takes awesome video footage.
I bought a small camera bag that I am going to make a styrofoam housing to hold the camera so it will be in the right position in the camera bag.
my theory is it should work.:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom