Malapascua and Moalboal Trip Planning - Nov22 - Dec3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StubbornRussian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are looking to do a diving trip Nov22 to Dec3 this year and thought that with the negative press the Philippines have been receiving lately in regards to safety that it might actually be the ideal time to go since I don't get the feeling that safety about much of the country is at all compromised any worse than most travel destinations and some percentage of the worst type of tourists will be staying away. We will be flying out of Portland, Oregon.

We love macro, turtles, and sharks so thought that Malapascua and Moalboal would be a great fit. Thinking of staying at Ocean Vida and diving with Sea Explorers in Mp. Backup plan would be Anilao and PG. This will be our first time to the Philippines.

My only concern is weather and visibility. It seems weather is a little bit wet but chances are pretty slim of getting the type of weather that keeps you in your room the whole trip. Ive seen mixed reports on what the diving is like this time of year with the worst indicating that plankton bloom drops the visibility down to 5m. What is average vis like this time of year? We aren't needing perfect crystal clear vis but are hoping to get some good photos and video. How would you split time between the destinations? Is Anilao and PG the better choice for this time of year and save Malapascua for another trip at a more ideal time of year? Any other recommendations would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

1. Anilao: Excellent macro
PG: Good all rounder
2. Malapascua: thresher shark
Moalboal: school of sardines + special trip to snorkel with whaleshark.

Plankton bloom? Not a threat.
Wet weather? Not much to worry about, it doesn't come down in bucket or last very long.
Typhoon: Possibility.
PAL serves Vancouver to Manila NON stop but not everyday.
Port of entry for the twin M is Cebu City and there are numerous connections everyday serve by various airlines to Manila.
Which option (1) or (2)? Both are good for different reasons but (1) does not require extra domestic connection which mean more time for diving!! However, the thresher shark and the sardines are something else!

Toss the coin.

The Philippines is a big place, attacks such as this are very very rare and the probability that an individual gets caught up in something like this is very very low.

Malapascua and Maolboal are perfect for a first trip , we have been there several times and cannot recommend Ocean vida enough. Maolboal is also great for turtles , the sardines, beautiful reefs and the whalesharks at Oslob. We were in the Visayas last year in December and the weather was fantastic.

If you like macro and taking photos Anilao and PG are also wonderful , but what you have picked is great.

Have a fab trip

I loved Malapascua for the macro and thresher shark. If you go with Evolution Diving Evolution Diving Resort in Malapascua, Cebu, Philippines, they have an AMAZING house reef that is a muck dive. You will find some great shots of small weird things. I can't say enough good things about the macro around there. They even have twilight dive to see mandarin fish mating. Evolution is a small resort but has everything you need and very professional.

Moalboal is a nice spot with the dive sites all very close. Pescador Island is the pick of the sites IMHO. I have dived there many times and always dived with the guys at Savedra Dive Center. Great location and a very professionally operated business! P.S The sardine ball is on their house reef!

I have done some further research and am thinking I might like to scrap Moalboal ( or at least limit Moalboal to a single day) and go to Bohol, Sogod Bay, or Dauin instead. I have narrowed it down to 2 extended trip itineraries and 1 shorter trip itinerary below but having a hard time choosing. My wife and I value topside possibilities especially animal oriented like the monkey cave in Leyte and seeing Tarsiers in Bohol. We have done several vacations where we moved around a lot and don't mind the logistics and travel days when we are somewhere beautiful although of course it is wonderful when you find a spot so amazing that you can stay for a long time and not feel like the days are repetitive.

• November 24 – Land in Cebu International at 1005 AM

• Driver to Malapascua and check in around 5 PM
Option 1

• Check out Nov 30 in the morning. Ferry back to mainland.

• Maya to San Isidro ferry and then arrange vehicle from San Isidro to Padre Burgo in Sogod Bay.

• Check in Nov 30

• Check out December 4

• Ferry to Ubay,Bohol and drive to Panglao

• Check in December 4

• Check out December 9

• Ferry to Cebu and stay the night near airport,

• Fly home December 10
Option 2

• Check out Nov 30 in the morning. Ferry back to mainland.

• Arrange vehicle transport to Moalboal.

• Check in Nov 30

• Check out December 2 early in the morning

• Drive and then ferry to Dumaguete and on to Dauin.

• Check in December 2

• Check out December 5

• Ferry to Panglao

• Check in December 5

• Check out December 9

• Fly home December 10
Option 3

• Check out December 1 in the morning. Ferry back to mainland.

• Arrange vehicle to Cebu City and ferry to Panglao

• Check in December 1

• Check out December 6

• Fly home December 7
I think option 1 might be prettier with more topside adventure and option 2 might offer the highest quality diving. What do you think?

1. Option 1 is certainly more adventurous in term of travelling!
2. Option 1 covers Sogod Bay and Bohol while Option 2 replaces Sogod Bay with Moalboal and Dauin. Option 3 is the easier in term of travelling.
My suggestion is Option 1 but instead of ferry to Ubay you can catch a night ferry to Cebu City from Hilongos/Maasin and then fast craft to Bohol.
www.schedule.ph

There is a twice daily fast ferry from Cebu to southern Leyte, this takes 2 and a half hours and the ticketight include a but to Padre Burgos. Take a look at the websites of the dive shops or contact them and they will advise. We did a similar trip at Christmas and saw everything from blue ringed octopus to whalesharks.

For the length of time you have , I would just do Malapascua and Leyte.

Centrals, are you recommending a night ferry and then stay night in Cebu or can I take night ferries to Cebu and then get on a night ferry to Bohol.

Considering that we have quite a few dive destinations on our list right now and only get time for 2 dive vacations a year it might be a long time before we make it back to the Philippines so want to see as much as we can so we can get some perspective for picking future trips. May add one extra day to the trip and come back December 11 to get a little more return on the travel time.

I would never suggest to anyone to spend a night in Cebu unless it is absolutely.
Night ferry from either Massin(22:00, 6hrs, not daily) or Hilongos(22:30, 3.5hrs) to Cebu City. Plenty of time to catch the 06:00 to Tagbilaran(Bohol). Massin is closer to Sogod Bay than Hilongos.
As suggested by "Tippytoes12", Weesam has twice daily service between Maasin and Cebu City so this is another option.
Check with the dive operator at Sogod Bay for the latest schedule and recommendation. Night ferry will give you more time for diving but do look after yourself.

If you want to see as much as possible then Option 2 is better but you have to move on very often.
Malapascua, Moalboal, Dauin(Apo Island, Siquijor Island), Panglao(Balicasag Island, Calibao island).
Time is NOT on your side in this trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom