Malapascua in July???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, I went this October and Exotic has turned ugly regarding people who stay with them but don't dive with them. I was planning to do some diving with Exotic but was really bothered by the way they reacted that I used Bubble07 exclusively. It seem that there were several incidents regarding divers who stayed with them but dove with other shops. I told their dive instructors that for $60 a night (the most expensive room in the island) I could dive anywhere I want...unless they want me to leave. That is when they backed down. I heard from one of their staff that a swedish guy packed up on the same day that he arrived and moved to another place, but I don't know the entire story.

Gussy:
Nice!

You should use a digital camera with a 4GB card.

All donations readily accepted and greatly appreciated :wink:

I have new updates...please see Malapascua and Bubble07. I stayed a Exotic, but will look for another place when I go back. They have a new "policy"...stay with them, must dive with them! Yeah Right!

I was at Malapascua in December (2004) and dived with Philippine Divers. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. I had nothing but problems!! Staff were good, but management only wanted money. They actually tried to charge me for dives I did not even do.

If you want to read more, go to my website a read the dive operator reports (WWW.ANASPIDES.COM)

Bubble07 divers are no longer operating.

Thresher Shark Divers appears to be quite good.......Iain

iainwilliams:
Andrea was with Bubble07 and now operates Threasher Shark Divers. Nice Gal....Iain

Since originally starting this Malapascua thread with a question on whether to dive in July, I ended up going for 6 days, pre-booked three dives a day from Hong Kong and ended up doing my advanced PADI so I could deep dive with the threshers.

I stayed at Exotic, which was great...hardly anyone there, and the dive masters (right up to Zoe at instructor level) were fab. I was there on my own and arriving late at night with transfers all arranged was a bit scary...as despite transfers being pre-arranged, I had to board a boat in the dark with a 5-man Philippino crew and no-one said a word to me besides 'get on the boat' and 'give us the money for the transfer from the shore' which was on a skiff as it was low tide, befor getting to the Exotic's charter boat. Anyway, besides fumbling around for cash in the dark with a load of strangers wearing t-shirts on their heads, the rest of the trip was great!!

Some amazing dives. Gato island turned out to be a big disappointment, due to the 20 man-and-fishing-boats that were camped around the island (no-one in the watchtower policing this) and the fact that on both dives that day dinamite was echoing all around. Pretty infuriating, and only saw small reef fish (no prizes for guessing why!!), as well as some gorgeous small sharks sleeping under rocks.

Monad Shoal was cool...the first time was murky and didn't see much, but the second trip was clear and we saw 2 threshers and a manta ray fly past.

The threshers were awesome, although I confess that when one came up close to get a look see (of me and the dive master) it was frightening...just being regarded and part of the thought process of such an amazing creature is quite a humbling experience.

Also saw sea snakes and lots of cool stuff. Sadly the only rays besides the manta, were all dead juveniles — we spotted over 20 dead ones on 1-dive and apparently the culprate is line-fishing. These would have come straight from their mother's bellies.

Overall great visibility, and I was really lucky with the weather too. My only thought would be don't ask Exotic (or any of the resorts) to reconfirm your flights etc. as they slapped on the costs at the end by way of incidentals.

Definitely worth the trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom