Malapascua vs Southern Leyte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've searched through many old threads and found quite bit of info already, but I have some pointed questions about both Cebu and Leyte. I've only dove in Boracay before which was OK but have heard many great things about the eastern islands. I now have an opportunity to troll around a bit with my uw camera out there for 9 days in November. Not the optimal time but it is what it is.

At first I figured Malapascua would be wonderful at first glance but have read a few comments that the coral is pretty beat up. That worries me some as I had planned on combining this island with another Cebu region to the south (Moaboal or possibly even Duma). I'm sure the sea life would be amazing but I do love a pretty walls and pristine coral. I just now heard that I'll be able to visit some extended family in Leyte and did a bit of research on that region. I see southern Leyte getting some rave reviews in some older threads. This region doesn't appear to get the same amount of publicity here in the US as other PI scuba areas, but that means nothing to me if it's the right place for me and is safe.

I'm not sure I want to bounce around every few days to a different area, especially given that the travel between all of these regions appears to take some serious time and effort. I'd prefer to knock out perhaps two resorts in my 9 days giving me 4 or 5 days at each. I'm flying in and out of Cebu City. For the diving, as I say, I get quite excited seeing healthy coral, lovely walls, macro photography critters (perhaps some muck), and plenty of new fish life. I really need a shot of mandarin fish and some ribbon eels. Sure, I love seeing sharks, mantas and whale sharks but it appears as though I need to make some decisions that might preclude one or the other. Perhaps there are two areas relatively close that could combine all of these things?

It's a lot to consider and I appreciate any help. I'm a bit overloaded, as you can probably tell, so any info to narrow down the focus would be fantastic. I really don't want to try to see it all and get burned out/exhausted. I like relaxing vacations.

Thanks

Mark

Hey Mark, I've been to Sogod Bay 3x and to Malapascua at least 5. Feel free to pm me with any spectic questions and i'll be happy to help if i can. Can tell you SB is easier to reach now with the daily fast ferry service on Weesam to Maasin from Cebu, making it easier to combine there and Malapascua potentially in a short visit to the Philippines.

1. I would rate Southern Leyte as one of the top diving area in the country. Nov is a bit too early for the whaleshark. Don't miss the night dive at the Pier if available(open few nights a week).
2. You can surely 'shoot" mandarin fish(early evening dive) in Malapascua. Thresher shark is the main attraction.
3. Not too sure where you can find ribbon eel but they are quite common.
4. School of sardine in Moalboal is the main attraction. Pescado Island is also very nice.
5. Whaleshark at Oslob is very popular albeit circus style. Operators in Moalboal will arrange special trip for it.

If you are going to visit your extended family in Leyte then you have to go down to Sogod Bay to sample it.
Fast craft and even night ferry is available from Cebu to various places in Leyte or vice versa.
Transfer from Cebu to Malapascua is dirt cheap by public transport but you have to start early, private transfer is on the expensive side(local standard).
Leyte + Malapascua
Leyte + Moalboal(+ Oslob)
Malapascua + Moalboal

Have a nice trip.

We have been to Malapascua probably five times and to Leyte twice , obviously like them both very much.

SouthernLeyte is truly wonderful , the reefs , the marine life , probably the best pier night dive I have ever done and the chance of a whaleshark all make it just a perfect all round destination. It is much easier to get to now with the fast ferry from Cebu.

However Malapascua is a beautiful island with more food and lodging options and of course the thresher sharks. I know that others on this board disagree but IMVHO the marine life and soft corals on sites like Deep Rock , Chocolate Island and Gato Island are really good. We have also seen Mantas and White Tipped sharks on Monad Shoal.

The perfect trip would be five or more dive days in each area , personally speaking again with only nine days I wouldn't waste a day transiting between two areas.

I hope this helps a bit !

Hey Mark, I've been to Sogod Bay 3x and to Malapascua at least 5. Feel free to pm me with any spectic questions and i'll be happy to help if i can. Can tell you SB is easier to reach now with the daily fast ferry service on Weesam to Maasin from Cebu, making it easier to combine there and Malapascua potentially in a short visit to the Philippines.

Great info as Google maps doesn't show that route currently. Many thanks

My thanks to you all. Extremely helpful.

Sounds like I can't make a bad decision here, except perhaps to try to move around too much. I guess the decision comes down to this: Which of the above mentioned areas have the healthiest nicest coral?

Ah, and one last question, how long is that new fast ferry between Cebu and Leyte?

Hey Marcus, the Weesam ferry takes about 3 hours and puts in at Maasin, which is about 45 minutes from Sogod Bay, which is a lot closer than that the other ports that other ferry options put in. You can take a bus from there which is very easy (or arrange resort transfer). Here actually is a link showing different ferry/transfer options from Cebu/Manila from Sogod Bay Scuba Resort's website who i highly recommend if you go to SB

How to get here - Sogod Bay Scuba Diving Resort

Healthiest and nicest coral between Malapascua and Sogod Bay?
The marine sanctuary of Napantao in Sogod BAY is the BEST by a big margin(my preference). Current can be really strong and the wall is deep. So be careful.

Southern Leyte has far healthier corals than malapascua. There really is no comparison. From your list on your original post I think sogod bay will fit the bill. You have padre Burgos pier (wow what a night dive not to be missed!) along with other sites for your macro. And plenty of amazing wall dives. And you could get lucky, I saw whale sharks there last November

Both are nice, and, yes, Southern Leyte has healthier reefs. That being said, Malapascua has great macro, which is under-appreciated imo, because everyone goes there for the thresher sharks. The "house reef" in front of bounty beach, which is really a sandy muck area, is great. Malapascua has really developed into a tourist destination, it's not exactly over-run, but you have great diving there these days!

This Flickr album of mine has some macro shots from Mala, to give you an idea:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pacificklaus/albums/72157647156060179

Back
Top Bottom