malaria protection - indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am surprized the physicians at your place do not consider Doxycycline being part of their antimalarial toolbox. In Europe it is one of the two most frequent prescriptions with Malarone (Lariam is less prescribed due to heavy side effects).

The question I have is that DoxyC was supposed to enhance photosensitivity and to carry skin reaction under sun light (something which is hard to avoid spending a week on the equator), have you experienced any of these issues or do you den to the darkest corner of the hold as soon as you're back on the boat?

I know that photosensitivity is always noted as the most major side affect...I've never had that problem and didn't alter my sun exposure while taking it...I am fairly dark skinned though to begin with

Thanks Doc That was really helpful and gives me lots to research further. I hope I can find the products you mention in Europe. It will all be worth it when we start diving.
Feel much clearer now.

...is it [doxycycline] easy to get in France from a medicin traitant?

This would vary by the particular doctor involved, but in general there should be no problem in obtaining it from your medicin traitant. When used for malaria prevention, doxycycline is to be stared a day or two before arriving in a malaria risk area and continued for 7 days after departure

I was wondering about the photosensitivity issues with doxycycline - don't really want to sit under a tree all the time.?

Photosensitivity is a common side effect of doxycycline, although like other possible adverse reactions it does not occur in every individual who takes it. Unless a person is especially hypersensitive, use of an effective sun block, wearing of a hat when convenient and taking other reasonable efforts to avoid prolonged exposure to direct sun, prudent actions whether taking doxycyline or not, protects most users. You'll know soon enough if it's going to be a problem.

Products in France:

Bayrepel - 20% picaridin

INSECT ECRAN Peau Adulte - 50% DEET

Générique Acticin - Permethrin 5%

Generic doxycycline - doxcycyline/Brand names - Vibramycine N; Tolexine

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Products in France:

Bayrepel - 20% picaridin

INSECT ECRAN Peau Adulte - 50% DEET
5/5 (cinq sur cinq), petrol stinky but tested so far as the best insect repellent I have used in my 15 years of traveling in Asia/Africa/South Pacific.
Insect Ecran smell is REALLY disgusting, from experience I am not sure it works as good as 5/5.

Insect Ecran smell is REALLY disgusting, from experience I am not sure it works as good as 5/5.

Hi Luko,

Published research supports high effectiveness, although I am not aware of any direct 5/5 v Insect Ecran comparisons. I agree it is nasty smelling, but to a greater or lesser degree all DEET preps are.

Personally, I'd go with a picaridin prep.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Drink lots of Gin & Tonics, the original cure was the Tonic, used during the building of the Panama Canal to stop the large number of deaths caused by Malaria..... The Gin was added to make it palatable......

Not to mention that the lime prevents scurvy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drink lots of Gin & Tonics, the original cure was the Tonic, used during the building of the Panama Canal to stop the large number of deaths caused by Malaria..... The Gin was added to make it palatable......

What complete and utter nonsense, j2S.

Commercial tonic water contains less than 20 milligrams of quinine (the active ingredient) per six fluid ounces. The recommended quinine dosage for the prevention of malaria is two or three 200-350 milligram tablets three times a day. Clearly, alcohol poisoning would kill a person drinking this number of GTs long before malaria would. See --> Travel Health Report - Gin And Tonic For Malaria Prevention for just how much one would have to imbibe.

Quinine was the only effective treatment for malaria for ~300 years, but after WWII it was essentially replaced by synthetic drugs such as chloroquine that were safer, more effective, and easier to make.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thank you Luko and Doc I'll go shopping for those 2 brands, then see the medicin for the pills. Along with sarouels and lon sleeve shirts I should be OK! Many thanks for all your help x:)

Thank you Luko and Doc I'll go shopping for those 2 brands, then see the medicin for the pills. Along with sarouels and lon sleeve shirts I should be OK!

With that coverage, your risk of contracting malaria will be very, very tiny.

Ayez un cirque de plongée.

Regards,

DocV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom