Malaysia/Thai water temperature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudguppy

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the water temperatures in the Maylasia and Thailand areas are? Am coming to dive in the Singapore east Asia area. Do I just need a dive skin or do I need to plan on a mil suit, and if so, how thick? Would a 50 ft. dive be the same as for a 120 ft. dive ....temperature wise?

Advice much appreciated!

Mudguppy

Not a problem with the skin unless it is a rare cold day that you dive. Skin suit will be suffice but a lot of my friends do dive with a 3mm full suit but mainly to protect against the elements. In fact while taking my open water in singapore, I was diving with a t-shirt and surf shorts. Malaysia and Thailand waters are the just about the same. Hope this helps.

Diving in Singapore on Saturday, I had 28C on the first dive and 30C on the second. In Thailand in December, I had 27-30C, although it can be cooler at depth. I don't have temps for East Malaysia b/c I didn't have a computer when I dived there, but from memory it was about the same. Ask me in three weeks and I'll have some more data (not that I'm counting the days until my next dive trip, or anything).

Most of the people I dive with wear 3mm shorties. Some people just wear swimsuits (brrr!) or skins. I wear a 3/2mm fullsuit, because I'm wimpy and can't stay warm without it. Plus it offers more protection from stingy stuff.

I've noticed that people from colder places generally get by with less than those of us who live around here. It really depends on what you're used to and how good you are at keeping warm.

Hope that helps,

Zept

Savant; Zept;

Thanks for the replies. This info helps me alot.

Mudguppy

The water temp here is generally about 28-30C. If you are just doing a couple of dives, a lot of people just wear a swimsuit and maybe a t-shirt (more for protection from the sun). However I dive with a 3mm full suit partly for protection and partly because it can get a bit chilly after a while. However it can get very warm if you have to wait too long between gearing up and getting into the water ....

I dive with a 2mm shorty... and in April weather (hottest time of the year in Thailand) that's still too warm for me! In Feb in the Similans I wore a 1mm vest under my shorty - water temp was between 26-27C. April is much warmer - 28-29C.

If you're used to colder water, you might be able to do it in just a skin... it depends on the person, really.

I was in Malaysia last week (Tioman) and was quite comfy in my 3/2 full suit. I usually dive dry and tend to get cold easily after my 2nd or 3rd dive. It sounds silly, but I wore the suit for skin diving too, to protect from sun (I am a pale skinned person) and stinging things.

-kate

Personally, I like a combination of both. A farmer john with a rash guard longsleeve will give me maximum protection and yet still keep me warm......

Thanks for the info, guys.

Being in Idaho, I have a fleece skin...so I get a SLIGHT more warmth, but still negative bouyant.

Think that would be enough?

I s'pose I could always just rent something out, too, if I got chilled.

Mudguppy

One of my instructors dives in a fleece-lined skin. Wouldn't do for me, but it works well for her. And as you say, you should be able to hire a shortie if you're getting cold.

Don't forget that you'll be more buoyant in salt water, no matter what you wear.

Have you decided where you're going yet?

Z

Back
Top Bottom