Trip Report Maldives Trip brief report Feb-Mar 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is the main Islands for diving then?I like big stuff and would travel in August, are there budget accommodation options available on the islands where the best diving is ? All infor or links appreciated.

I jumped onto their site...and I would not exactly say they are cheaper than the "fake resorts".
It was around USD750/person/night! Which is pretty big $$'s!!!
At that price give me the "fake" overwater villas any day of the week! ha ha

I jumped onto their site...and I would not exactly say they are cheaper than the "fake resorts".
It was around USD750/person/night! Which is pretty big $$'s!!!
At that price give me the "fake" overwater villas any day of the week! ha ha

I just checked on BB's site - it's closer to $580/person (incl diving & food) depending on what time of year you want to go.

This is actually fairly reasonable for the Maldives (given that it includes diving and food). Depends on what you are looking for/willing to spend.

This is located in South Ari Atoll, very close to where they regularly see whalesharks (and mantas) in season. Most of the LOBs have this area on their itineraries...

I still prefer the south of the Maldives (like Laamu Atoll) but this looks interesting...

Scubajunky17: since you mention big stuff, I was in Fuvahmulah Island in late February/early March. Decent hotels were in the $50-60 range....a bit more affordable than $580/nt., I'd say. Diving averages about $50-60/tank. Food is cheap.

Fuvahmulah is known for big stuff: hammerheads, threshers, mantas, and tigers are seen here. The hammerheads, threshers, and mantas are highly seasonal, whereas the tigers are pretty much yearround. Not sure what the diving is like in August. Worth noting that the Tiger shark dives are only half-hour long, and, in all honesty, after my second one, I didn't feel that I needed to do it again. The dives that I did besides the tiger dives were so-so - but that is luck - so for me, 4 dive days there were plenty.

You might then combine Fuvahmulah with Addu Atoll, which is the southermost atoll of Maldives This could then make for a decent dive trip. There is ferry service between the two, and both places have flights to and from Male. I didn't do Addu but it is reputed to have mantas yearround.

If you decide to do this, be sure to have either the dive operator or the hotel in which you are staying arrange your domestic flights. They can get you a better price than what you can get booking online.

Back
Top Bottom