man attacked by giant...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Met new dive buddy yesterday. You could say he took one for the team!! was diving Porteau yesterday with Jeckyll. All was great. Until!!! this giant(well close to 3') lingcod came out to eat his leg. nearly took the leg right off(well maybe not quite) but it did chomp his thigh. Did not penetrate the drysuit luckily.
We weren't harassing or too close. I actually did not see it until it was in full attack mode. Jeckyll and I were a good 15' away from the crevice when the monster lunged at its lunch victim. Good thing for the UK light in his hand to beat the dragon away.
Good job Jeckyll. well handled and great dive.we'll do it again soon.
Les
FYI-egg season for the lings so try not to get too close as this proves that fish will attack. Been there done that as well.

Oh, glad everything worked out! I can't imagine that that would be a fun experience.

I have heard a couple similar stories of lings getting up close and personal...one of them attacked one of my friends' masks before about this time last year. I guess they get possessive of their eggs. Just making sure we don't destroy them. What good parents they shall make.

hahaha im glad i wasnt there i would have shat myself i hate those things. I thought i saw some eggs on the grandthall last weekend so i was trying to stay as far away from them as possible. did you guys find the octopus?

We didn't see any octopus.

I'm glad that it all turned out ok, but on the drive home I noticed that my right leg was wet where the ling cod bit me. Not very much, probably just some needle sized hole(s).

Stopped by the dive shop today, but they are not sure if a bicycle tube patch kit will work on the bare nexgen. No biggie, I'm sure I'll work something out.

I must say that I was surprized at just at how nasty the ling cod become. So far I've never had any issues and have gotten much, much closer than on yesterdays dive. On dive 2 I stayed a bit further away from the damn fish :wink:

Fun dives though. Good diving with Les, hope to get out again soon :)

Les, did any of the pictures turn out at all? Would like to get a copy even if they are a bit dark :D

Bjorn

P.S.: Here is a picture for good measure. Note that the one that bit me wasn't _quite_ that big :wink:

lingcod.jpg

I'm assuming you guys did the wall, did you find the bottom of the wall? was it ok to park in the campsite? and did you find the bottle dump by the wall?

Scary story, Ive been attacked twice by cabazon down in Edmunds. One hit me in the neck and the other on the thigh. But I would hate to have a big ling bering down on me,

Jumbo

Ryan:

We did not end up doing the wall as neither Les or I were familiar with it.

Instead we dove the Centenial and Granthall the first dive (then out towards the Leaning tower of Porteau) and on dive 2 dove the sailboat hull and slowly meandered our way over to the beam pile and then back to ward the Granthall deck and back along the tire reef.

I think dive 1 was 35 minutes (I used some extra air after getting chomped on :wink: ) and dive 2 was 42 minutes, both to 54 feet max depth.

Bjorn

P.S.: Hope your cold is getting better.

i should be ok for next weekend i think we should do either ansell, the wall, or the nakaya if you or les are up for it and which ever one you wanna do the most because its so hard to choose

Ryan: I'd love to try and get out. I haven't done any of the dives you've described, so it'll be new for me no matter what (which is great :D )

It's a bit dependent on the snow conditions. I'm going to try to get out to ski one day on the weekend. Too many hobbies, too little free time :wink:

Aww, I want to go diving this weekend. :( I have to work. But it looks like I may be going on thursday, we shall see...but that doesn't stop me from wanting to go diving again on the weekend, too. :D Silly work.

Hey Bjorn, what mountain do you ski at? I work at Cypress. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom