Man have we been hearing whales on the dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to chime in here but I had to tell my story. I was on a dive trip a few years ago and never had given whales a thought. While motoring between sites a humpback calf breached about 30 feet from your 20 foot dive boat. We all went crazy including the boat captain. Just a few seconds later, the mother breached between the calf and the boat. Holly crap. We almost fell in. The DM asked if we'd like to snorkel rather with them. Stupid question! We all slid silently into the water and swam with them for well over an hour. The most difficult thing was deciding to put your head in the water or on the surface. One of the best and most "religous" days of my life. As luck would have it, we had a videographer with us that and he captured much of the encounter on tape. Sorry to hijack the thread but it's one of my favorite moments. (sorry it was in Moorea).

Very cool!!! Did you find it frustrating to hear them but not be able to see them? I guess after searching as hard as you can, you'd settle down and appreciate just being able to hear them.
Three out of our last four dives were at Ho'okena Beach Park, he have encountered Humpbacks on three of those dives, by encountered I mean had a pair of Humpbacks come up to use within less than six feet. I've never seen anything like this before. We were not swimming after them or trying to find them, we were hanging out, on the surface, slightly more than 150 feet away from the Dolphin schools, who came right up to us first.

Sorry to chime in here but I had to tell my story. I was on a dive trip a few years ago and never had given whales a thought. While motoring between sites a humpback calf breached about 30 feet from your 20 foot dive boat. We all went crazy including the boat captain. Just a few seconds later, the mother breached between the calf and the boat. Holly crap. We almost fell in. The DM asked if we'd like to snorkel rather with them. Stupid question! We all slid silently into the water and swam with them for well over an hour. The most difficult thing was deciding to put your head in the water or on the surface. One of the best and most "religous" days of my life. As luck would have it, we had a videographer with us that and he captured much of the encounter on tape. Sorry to hijack the thread but it's one of my favorite moments. (sorry it was in Moorea).
That is pretty cool and definitely a once in a lifetime event. I'm glad you shared.

Three out of our last four dives were at Ho'okena Beach Park, he have encountered Humpbacks on three of those dives, by encountered I mean had a pair of Humpbacks come up to use within less than six feet. I've never seen anything like this before. We were not swimming after them or trying to find them, we were hanging out, on the surface, slightly more than 150 feet away from the Dolphin schools, who came right up to us first.
I read your report/posts here and I'm very envious. I dunno when or if I'll ever get to Ho'okena, but it's now on my bucket list.

I have heard the humpbacks so loud at Molokini, off Maui, that my sternum has actually vibrated! It is interesting to note that the two times I have seen whales while diving or snorkeling, I didn't hear a thing!

Been hearing the same on Oahu too. I actually have whales & dolphins recorded on one video clip similar to the one here. How sweet it is to enjoy this!!!
Aloha & keep on diving!
-Lynn

Hi Steve wanted to thank you and Cathy again for a memorable two dives with the mantas..I wish we had stayed closer to your place because we saw more fish on your two dives than we did all over Kohala except Puako. I was reading a bit about Hawaiian culture on the way out and there was reference to kings declaring overfished areas off limits -kapu- for years to allow them to replenish. Some thought ought to be given to that advice.

Howard and Jean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom