Man murdered during robbery attempt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Re-read the above posts, but I do "get" where you're going with that comment.

West Bay is where the money is. It is remote, populated with ex-pats who have come to Roatan to fulfill their dreams of owning a home in paradise. With these dreams come an idyllic blindness to the realities of building an upscale home, loading it with electronics, and then living in it like you were in Martha's Vineyard.

These particular unfortunate folks likely appeared to the bad guys to be the owners of a local mini-mansion. Prime meat.

Weeklong visitors, if they stay on the tourist trail, will be just fine. You are free to decide what the "tourist trail" is. If you are a 18 year old blonde girl named Natalie, the tourist trail might lead you off on a dark beach, blithering drunk with a couple of nice local boys. Did that mean traveling to Bonaire is ill-advised?

Living long-term on Roatan in a wealthy ex-pat enclave is a delightful fantasy for almost anyone. Many show up in a daze, or thinking they know what's in store. Then reality quickly sets in.

Not only is there no Walmart, but the concept of security is a rude shock. It is quite common for even visitors to see vaguely uniformed men sitting around, shotguns in their laps. Do some quick math. It is cheaper to hire a guy for a few Lempiras than to keep replacing your stuff. Private homeowners hire guard services, sometimes they split the costs with their neighbors.

If you want to look at a Roatan neighborhood that is buttoned down tight by professionals, look at Lawson Rock. You, as a tourist, will likely have no trouble rolling through for a look-see. Profiling is still quite effective in Honduras.

We have a sense of security back in the US, only shattered by the occasional sensationalistic story in the newspapers... just like this.

Your Stateside sense of security is just an illusion anyway. The local cops here are not there to protect you, they are there to take reports, something for your insurance. Cops in Honduras are spread really thin.

To protect the cash cow of Roatan, the tourists, they have placed enough "Tourism Police" in the tourist zones to keep you safe. You will never meet them- they are looking for mopes that do not belong in that zone. Profiling works.

If you wander off the beaten path, or go and act like a wealthy transplant home-owner- that's when you up the ante.

Now, combine the existence of a desperate mainland Honduran populace with easy access by daily ferry to un-guarded, un-patrolled and un-occupied homes. Homes that have big screen tv's, DVD players, maybe even computers. Nice cookware. 400 count cotton sheets. Stuff, that in the US, would be overlooked- becomes prime loot in Honduras.

Go and be a tourist, act like an adult, get bitten by sand fleas, go home happy.

If you want to move to the Islands (or appear as if you are coming home to your house at 10pm), that is a different conversation, one which I am- unfortunately, very qualified to talk further about.
Roatanman, this was a most insightful post regarding buying and living in a tropical destination. I think many of us dream of saving up and cashing in our stateside house and setting up in a place like Roatan. Your last sentence about being unfortunately "very qualified" to talk about this leaves me wondering what exactly happened to you when you bought a place down there. I don't mean to hijack this thread to a different direction. Perhaps this deserves its own thread; something along the lines of "Home ownership in paradise - not all its cracked up to be." Please do share more. Thanks.

I'm always amazed when I meet people buying homes there. Don't get me wrong I love Roatan but, living there as an outsider is not smooth sailing. I ask them: do you have a registered gun and are you skilled with it? How many fire extinguishers are you importing? Do you know were the nearest "real" hospital is? Do you realise medicare doesn't work there? They look at me like I just stole their lollipop and all I can say is good luck. By the way gated communities mean nothing and may be a magnet for crime. Hopefully your hired guard is not the problem...IE the shooting at AKR.

I'm always amazed when I meet people buying homes there. Don't get me wrong I love Roatan but, living there as an outsider is not smooth sailing. I ask them: do you have a registered gun and are you skilled with it? How many fire extinguishers are you importing? Do you know were the nearest "real" hospital is? Do you realise medicare doesn't work there? They look at me like I just stole their lollipop and all I can say is good luck. By the way gated communities mean nothing and may be a magnet for crime. Hopefully your hired guard is not the problem...IE the shooting at AKR.

Wow,
You must associate with a lot of ignorant folks if this type of thing is always amazing you. While I have always known there are those whose ideals and ideas vary I have know few as ignorant as you would suggest. Perhaps you associate with less intelligent folks, I don't know.

Last edited:
No, with HGTV doing stories about buying homes on the island there was quite a surge of naive investors from the states buying homes on the island. The political unrest may have affected that because I'm getting asked about Belize now. If you are the one that owns the "Blue House" made of wood. You have mentioned the issue with response time of the fire department.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to live there but, I wouldn't believe everything the real estate agent tells me.

I wouldn't believe everything the real estate agent tells me.
Would anyone? I have not used one so I really don't know
Are you some type of authority on Central American properties? I am curious why people would seek your opinion in the past on Roatan and now Belize?

Wise words...
People get killed all the time, even in Saskatoon or Vancouver Island. This was "fun" and exciting, it involved a local Canadian, so it made the news. How many Canadians get croaked in Seattle every day~ but you never hear about that, do you? To your question? Crime pretty much everywhere is on the rise.

Crime is the same everywhere. Random crime is not the norm. People that have an association with a bad guy, no matter how slight- then you have the magic ingredient. "Friends" kill Friends.

Go to Roatan, involve yourself in local politics, local issues, live in a "locals" or remote area, get to know people... all sorts of people.

Or... Go to Roatan, stay within the tourist population, have a nice vacation. Go home with a woven cloth hammock.

As dmoore19 said, AI resorts offer you the most isolation. Of the major players, there are some substantially more secure resorts and many that are less so.

Property crime? At one AI, you can leave cameras, dive computers and watches lying about all week, at some others- they have had regular thefts from the rooms.

Crime perpetrated upon visitors who arrive for a week of fun in the sun is virtually unknown on Roatan.

Your Stateside sense of security is just an illusion anyway. The local cops here are not there to protect you, they are there to take reports, something for your insurance. Cops in Honduras are spread really thin.

There are places within a 15 minute drive of my house where I could go for a walk alone at 3am and return safely, and other places where the cop cars travel in pairs and you can get shot waiting for a traffic light.

The difference is that at home, I know what areas I need to stay away from. When on vacation, I don't.

Terry

The difference is that at home, I know what areas I need to stay away from. When on vacation, I don't.

I have always found it fairly obvious wherever I have gone on this planet.

Universal truths, anywhere you vacation:

Stay near "tourist areas", near places that sell t-shirts and tourist crap, bars that obviously cater to tourists (higher prices), on good sidewalks or pathways that are loaded with tourists.

Restaurants should be a good indicator, as well. Safest spots are likely McDonalds or the Hard Rock Cafe. Let your sense of adventure and willingness to accept risk take you on the path from there.

Stay near lighting, neon, sidewalks, clean areas. Stay away from locals that offer you their services as a guide or whatever.

In the Roatan example, the time of day can change this equation. During the day, if you stay in the busy main street of Coxen Hole (the big town near the Cruise Ship docks), you will have a jolly pod people tourist time. If you go into Coxen Hole after dark, many locals think you might be looking for adventure of a new and different kind.

Where do most tourists go? On Roatan's West End, this tourist zone is pretty much-so safe for the average tourist from Podunk, USA with his wife Maggie and the kids. I would head home by Midnight, but if you're a bit later than that, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

It's called using your head. Don't get in over it.

A man's got to know his limitations. (Inspector Callahan)

or.... Darwin kicks in.

Picture5-2.png

Weeklong visitors, if they stay on the tourist trail, will be just fine. You are free to decide what the "tourist trail" is. If you are a 18 year old blonde girl named Natalie, the tourist trail might lead you off on a dark beach, blithering drunk with a couple of nice local boys. Did that mean traveling to Bonaire is ill-advised?

Bonaire? I seem to remember Aruba.

And there was some indication that she was looking to score drugs. Drug dealers don't tend to be the Chamber of Commerce types anywhere.

Art

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom