Manado <> Sorong on Garuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most people with local knowledge advice that it is much better to reach Sorong via Makassar (Ujung Pradang) rather than Manado. There are more flight options to and from Makassar, including Garuda. But being a local person yourself, do you suggest that we should now consider Manado as the better option?

I would consider both options, including Jakarta (my least favorite airport). Depending on your incoming flight schedule, if you need an overnight in order to make the flight, and your comfort level on smiling tight connections should be considered. FYI, Makassar is a nice airport.

Hi there

We did a LOB in Decamber and two fellow passengers who were only coming from Singapore cut their connection too tight and missed their flight to Sowrong. They ended up having to catch a very local very and missed a full day of a very expensive trip. The boat left more or less on time with the rest of us and altered the route a bit. My hubby and I didn't have a problem with this and neither did anybody else as far as I know, but please please overnight in Makassar or So wrong ....both airports we felt were absolutely fine.

Best fishes to all xxx

Most people with local knowledge advice that it is much better to reach Sorong via Makassar (Ujung Pradang) rather than Manado. There are more flight options to and from Makassar, including Garuda. But being a local person yourself, do you suggest that we should now consider Manado as the better option?

Honestly I could not tell you. I just saw the article in the paper when I woke up this morning and thought I would pass it on as there is often interest in doing a Lembeh/Raja Ampat trip. I will say flying into Singapore, entering Indonesia via Manado for a few days in Lembeh, and then on R4 sounds like a pretty good trip to me...at least on paper.

Garuda has been offering an extra 15kg of sporting equipment (scuba gear) on their regular flights. Wonder if this will also apply to new route to Sorong. Also, what type of plane will be used? Wings is a twin turbo ATR (small plane) with no extra wt allowance.

I will say flying into Singapore, entering Indonesia via Manado for a few days in Lembeh, and then on R4 sounds like a pretty good trip to me...at least on paper.

It's pretty good for real, too, especially for those of us who travel long distances to get all of our dives in concentrated doses. In 2012 we followed this route from the US, did five days in Lembeh to get wet, and rested, and then on to RA for twelve days. Highly recommended!

Tippytoes12, you thought Sorong airport was perfectly fine?!?! Do you also put it in the same category of airport as Makassar?

Makassar and Sorong airport equal????? Unless they have built a new airport in Sorong in the last 2 years I think no way Jose!!!

Back
Top Bottom