Manado Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTA

Reaction score
Manado Trip Report
April 2006

Just back from a five day trip to Manado. We stayed with Celebes Divers at their two resorts, Mapia and Onong and dived Bunaken and Lembeh.

In short Celebes Divers provided simple, comfortable and clean accommodation with great dive guides who where fantastic at pointing out macro-critters. Resort is small and personable. Food was good and plentiful during meals but a bit too much on the European side for our liking (we like to eat Indonesian food in Indonesia!). The resort and dive operation is well run and they are very accommodating to requests. DMs and other guests were friendly, but we suffered a bit due to the language barrier (most other guests were Italians with little English and we unfortunately don’t speak Italian!).

Diving Lembeh has fantastic – got to see both the red and yellow pygmy seahorses and many other macro-critters. Bunaken had fabulous walls, great visibility and great macro and good reef life but few pelagics.

Would we go again? Back to Lembeh certainly for its uniqueness – perhaps staying at KBR or some other Lembeh based resort this time. Bunaken is nice but if we were diving walls we would prefer to go back to Sipadan where you also get pelagics and large schools of fish (a bit more exciting!). Can’t fault Celebes divers – you get what you pay for and they run a decent operation, its just that if we were to go back we would want to focus on Lembeh.

Now for some details:

Getting There
Easy-peasy. We flew with Silk Air from Singapore to Manado, leaving at around 9am in the morning. The trip takes about 3 hours. Celebes Divers was there to pick us up at the airport and drove us in a four wheel drive through Manado to the resort. Transfer takes 1 hour.

Accomodation
We stayed at the Mapia and Onong resorts, both owned by Celebes Divers. The resort is run by Italian/German owners and most of the guests are Italian/Spanish/German. The owners speak Italian/German/English/French/Spanish. The resort is small (around 10 chalets at Mapia and 6 or so at Onong).

Mapia resort is based on the mainland, just on the outskirts of Manado. We stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip. The chalets are a good size and air conditioned, comprising a bedroom with a sitting area, porch and bathroom. The chalets are built in the Minahasa style – basically of dark wood. This can make it seem a little dark inside, but there are plenty of bright lights fitted in the interior. The bathroom is huge, running the length of the chalet, with cupboards and tables to store your things. There is hot water but the water pressure can be variable between chalets (Puring chalet had decent pressure, Kemuning less so). The beds are comfortable and in the “sitting area” there is a coffe table and a few chairs made of bamboo – perfect for downloading the day’s photos and writing log books.

Mapia resort also has a nice pool – large enough to swim in (i.e. not just a plunge pool), restaurant area and little covered sitting area next to the beach. The beach here is pebbly and has black sand – shore dives are basically muck dives similar to the under-water scenery in Lembeh. There isn’t much of a “beach” if you are into sunbathing, but there are plenty of deck chairs around the pool.

We also stayed at the Onong resort on Siladen Island, which is the island right next to Bunaken. The resort here is smaller and more basic. Rooms are in the same style as Mapia but a little smaller and not air-conditioned. Water is a precious resource here so the showers are little more than dribbles at times – again there is hot water available (although I did wish there was a large water container and bucket to bathe Indonesian style – better lots of cold water than tiny bit of hot!). We were lucky enough to be given the family room as the resort here was quite full – it had a double and a single bed, both covered with mosquito nets. There was also a fan in the room – one of the floor-standing, moveable kind.

There is a nice beach in front of Onong resort, with yellow sand. Shore dives from Siladen are great – swim out and there is a wall down to about 15-20m or so. Nice little reef – good coral growth and plenty of little reef fish.

They provide you with two towels at both places and a small bar of soap. Bring your own shampoo and things!

It was really easy to transfer between resorts – you just let them know when you want to. This may have been because we were there when the resort was relatively empty. Everyone had opted to stay on Siladen so all the rooms there were full (about 12 people) but there was no one at the Mapia resort and we were the only guests staying here. Lots of people want to stay on Siladen for the “desert island” feel and the beach, whereas people stay at Mapia for trips to Lembeh or the air-con and pool.

Food
Breakfast comprised toast, cheese slices, various jams, fresh fruit, tea, coffee and orange juice (powdered kind). Self service usually at 7-8am.

Lunch is either taken on the boat (if you are in Lembeh) or on Siladen (if you are diving Bunaken). Lunch is served (i.e. not self-service) on Siladen and is usually Indonesian style – rice, grilled fish, fried vegetables that sort of thing, with fresh fruit for dessert.

Dinner is also served. Usually Italian style: first a starter (maybe prawn cocktail salad), then pasta course (carbonara, arrabiata etc), then mains (roast chicken, roast pork, roast fish, pizza etc). There is also plenty of bread – home made foccacia which is really yummy. Food all tastes very good, particularly if you like Italian food. Unfortunately I like eating Indonesian food when I’m in Indonesia (I get plenty of excellent Italian food in Europe where I live anyway) – but the cook was also very accommodating and made me nasi goreng whenever I needed an Italian food break.

Between dives they provide fresh fruit (papaya and pineapple), tea, coffee and local biscuits.

All in all the food is decent and there is usually plenty during meal times (harder to find in-between meals) although we were really hoping to have more local food! Perhaps it is because we went when the resort was only half full. Apparently when the resort is more full they do both an Italian and an Indonesian option.

Diving
One of the reasons we choose Celebes Divers was because they offered dives in Lembeh as well as Bunaken and were very flexible about where and when we wanted to dive.

Diving Bunaken (and the islands around it – Siladen and Manado Tua): the boat leaves from Mapia resort at 8am and takes about an hour to get to Siladen. There it picks up divers from Onong resort and the first two dives of the day are done from the boat with an hour’s surface interval on the boat itself. The boat is wooden and spacious – there was plenty of room for us 7 divers and 3 guides plus boat crew, with plenty of space to kit up at the back, a covered seating area and a sunny area at the front for sunbathing. There is also a small toilet.

After the first two dives it is back to Siladen for lunch. Some people then opt to do the Siladen shore dive or you can request a third boat dive. We dived with 2-3 divers per dive guide. Could be due to the fact that the resort was only about half full when we went. I think their max is 6 divers per dive guide, but I was told that usually it is much lower than this. Dives are typically an hour long, first dive starting at 30m and multilevel, second to about 20m and third to about 15m.

Shore dives are free and both the house reef at Siladen and Mapia are good. Siladen for the 15m wall, good coral and lots of little reef fish (sometimes harlequin ghost pipefish and frogfish as well although we didn’t see any). Mapia has a nice reef/sandy bottom for muck diving – we also did a night dive here and saw a whole host of things – cuttlefish, octopus, sponge-crabs, shrimp, ornate-spiny lobster.

Diving around Bunaken is beautiful – mainly wall diving, spectacularly rich and thriving walls – the coral growth is very good. Fish are mainly reef fish – very few pelagics. Much macro on the walls as well and the dive guides are impossibly good at spotting the macro critters. We saw orang-utan crabs, porcelain crabs, anemone shrimp, numerous nudibranchs, soft coral cowries etc.

Visibility was fantastic on our fist day – must have been 40m or so. Then for the rest of the dives the viz averaged around 20m. Water temp around 28 deg C, although we occasionally went into thermoclines where the water temp reached 24 deg C. We were diving in 3mm wetsuits although wished we had thicker ones for the 24 deg C! Otherwise 3mm was sufficient.

Diving Lembeh, you have to leave from Mapia resort. Breakfast is at 6am and the car leaves at 7am. They take you in the four wheel drive plus all your gear to Bitung port which is about one and a half hours’ drive away. There they rent a boat and sail out to the dive sites in the Lembeh straits – this takes about 20 mins.

The boat is a moderate sized local boat. There is a covered sitting area (or you can sit on the sunny roof) and area for kitting up at the front – 2-3 divers can kit up comfortably here. No toilet.

Usually two dives are done in the morning with an hour’s surface interval in-between. Then lunch is eaten on the boat (usually nasi goreng) and after a suitable surface interval the afternoon dive is done. After this it is back to the jetty and the drive back to Mapia.

Water temp in Lembeh was around 28 deg C. Visibility ranged from 3-10m.

All the dive guides we had during our stay were fantastic at spotting macro critters. They were all local guides: Bernard, Jamie and Tony. Their eyesight is simply amazing. Bernard took us to Lembeh both times and found us pygmy seahorses on both trips. The first trip he managed to find 5 yellow pygmys on a gorgonian. On the second trip 10 yellow pygmys on a gorgonian and one red pygmy on a separate gorgonian. Also sea moths (pegasus fish), numerous nudibranchs and flatworms, commensal shrimp, sea cucumber shrimp, ribbon eels, anemone-fish eggs, tiny broadclub cuttlefish, banggai cardinalfish, frogfish. Dive sites visited in Lembeh: nudi retreat, nudi falls, polis pier, makawide (pygmys at nudi retreat and nudi falls, frogfish at polis pier).

We really loved Lembeh given the diversity and proliferation of macro life. We had only planned to dive one day out of four here (intending to spend the rest in Bunaken), but decided after the first day to devote another day’s diving to Lembeh. This was partly also because our first trip to Lembeh was with two other divers, making 4 divers to one dive guide. Plus three of us were camera-freaks so there was a bit of crowding around the pygmy fans. The second time we went we were the only two to go and only one camera-freak this time (me!), so we got ages with the little pygmys! We find that diving for macro is much easier with a smaller group.

Another plus for Celebes Divers was that they were very accommodating to our requests and easily arranged for a second day to Lembeh. There was no minimum number of divers required to make the trip to Lembeh and two divers is sufficient. In fact for us two divers is much preferable!

That’s all for now. Am already having withdrawal symptoms and am planning the next trip. Maybe Sangalaki for some big stuff.

TTA

WOW !!! Great report alright. Just the stuff I need to know as I am planning a trip to Manado this November.

Thanks.

Wow - great report TTA! Any photos that you can show us?

I was there a few weeks back (KBR and Tasik Ria) and felt the same way about the diving: Lembeh was fantasic but the Bunaken walls, though nice for macro, lacked the pelagics of Sipadan, GBR or Palau. Please let us know if you go to Sangalaki: I'm thinking of going there next year and would like to read a recent review.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Hi guys,

Glad you found it useful! Have fun in Manado when you go!

I'll dig out some photos when I get back home (I have some photos on www.tzotze.co.uk but it isn't apparent which location I took each photo in). I'm just on my way back from Bali - haven't been to Sangalaki as yet, came to Bali to find the mola mola instead. Was totally amazing.

Back
Top Bottom