Manatee Abuse and Harassment Caught on Tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have spent may trips to the Apollo Beach area where the manatees are numerous, many with calves. I feel that if a manatee has a calf that there should be no approach, especially the calves. I get dive certified on the 12th of August. My question is: Do the basic divers courses mention anything about wildlife etiquette while you are 1st learning to dive? I guess I will find out in a couple weeks, if not, maybe that is something that could be added to the training for maybe a half hour block. It is a NAUI course.

The Crystal River area is the only place in the US where you can legally swim with manatees. Even there, there are restricted areas in which the manatees learned they won't be bothered by humans. Additionally, nobody should be scuba diving with manatees. They get agitated by the bubbles.

American Pro required everyone to be verbally briefed and watch a short 15 minute movie on etiquette when snorkeling with manatees. This was required before the dive. From what I remember, PADI does not teach anything about wildlife etiquette in their basic OW dive course; however, I've heard many dive masters/instructors mention it.

I know of several locations throughout the state where you can observe the manatees in the water.

I can honestly say I am so glad I've never seen anyone harrassing or molesting them.

I can also say that I hope I am never witness to such abuse.

Last edited:
The Crystal River area is the only place in the US where you can legally swim with manatees. Even there, there are restricted areas in which the manatees learned they won't be bothered by humans. Additionally, nobody should be scuba diving with manatees. They get agitated by the bubbles.

American Pro required everyone to be verbally briefed and watch a short 15 minute movie on etiquette when snorkeling with manatees. This was required before the dive. From what I remember, PADI does not teach anything about wildlife etiquette in their basic OW dive course; however, I've heard many dive masters/instructors mention it.

Thanks for the reply Katch:D

I know of several locations throughout the state where you can observe the manatees in the water.

I can honestly say I am so glad I've never seen anyone harrassing or molesting them.

I can also say that I hope I am never witness to such abuse.

Dave, you need to check them out at Apollo Beach, hundreds of them, the area is built for observation and there is a museum on site. The Manatees and Sharks are numerous, especially when the water is cooler. They like to come in to the area because the power plant uses the water for cooling and it is warmer at the outgoing valves.

American Pro required everyone to be verbally briefed and watch a short 15 minute movie on
etiquette when snorkeling with manatees. This was required before the dive. From what I remember, PADI does not teach anything about wildlife etiquette in their basic OW dive course; however, I've heard many dive masters/instructors mention it.

There are no laws restricting where one may swim, snorkel, or dive with manatees.

There are laws regarding behavior with manatees.

I have had plenty of them swim up to me at Venice while on scuba, some hung out, others cruise on by, none were agitated by bubbles.

There are no laws restricting where one may swim, snorkel, or dive with manatees.

There are laws regarding behavior with manatees.

I have had plenty of them swim up to me at Venice while on scuba, some hung out, others cruise on by, none were agitated by bubbles.

I'm just going by what American Pro advises. Maybe they are being extra cautious in making sure people don't harass them.

Of course, Save the Manatee Club does state, "Use snorkel gear when attempting to watch manatees -- the sound of scuba gear may cause them to leave the area."
Manatee Protection Tips for Divers and Swimmers

Even Birds website states, "Use snorkel gear when diving with manatees. The sound of bubbles from SCUBA gear can frighten the manatees."
Bird's Underwater Manatee Tours -

I'm just going by what American Pro advises. Maybe they are being extra cautious in making sure people don't harass them.

Of course, Save the Manatee Club does state, "Use snorkel gear when attempting to watch manatees -- the sound of scuba gear may cause them to leave the area."
Manatee Protection Tips for Divers and Swimmers

Even Birds website states, "Use snorkel gear when diving with manatees. The sound of bubbles from SCUBA gear can frighten the manatees."
Bird's Underwater Manatee Tours -

I would submit that manatee tour guides have a vested interest in keeping manatees from leaving the area.....it is very cool to have a manatee loom up wanting a belly scratch while looking for fossils off Venice........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom