Manatee Dive-Crystal River FINAL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's it? Gee, that number sounds low...maybe we will get some stragglers showing up as it gets closer...

There are 11 on the sign up (including SO's i know of). I think Chuck might also come along depending on his situation, should know by friday. Not sure of others who might be around and willing to go. So if there were only 15 divers (lets say to be pessimistic), what would that put us at for cash required?

The only two i see on this thread who havent "signed up" on the calendar are Mannydib and Dzstr, i dont know if they are signed up with Suzie though.

"water hasn't been too cold lately"

does that mean manatees won't be hanging around the spring?

who's the chubbiest SBer? we could put flippers on 'em and paint whiskers on and tell 'em to chew on a head of lettuce.

The cost of the manatee dive is 22.50 per person. That won't change that I know of. The cost difference will be in how many people stay on throughout the remainder of the day. That is based on how many people stay and for how many hours. Figure fourteen people stay on...
first 6@30/hr
each additional 2.50/hr, up to 14 on first boat with a second boat available
For a full boat of 14 that's 50/hr, split among them is roughly 3.60/person/hour.
Figure on a four hour trip that's about 15 bucks plus tax. If there are say, 18 people on in the afternoon, we will probably split the load between two boats to make more room for everyone and the price would be divided among boats obviously.
These are rough numbers. If my guess-timations are correct...

Since I'll be bringing the wife and kid also...
That's 3@23$ + 3@15$ = (roughly $115 for the day) plus tax
Then figure in a tip for the captain on top of that as a courtesy.

As a contrast, if only 6 people stay on, that's 30/hr split by 6= $5/person/hour
for a 4 hour trip now goes up to 20$/person for the afternoon
I'm planning on bringing at least 150, plus food money for a family of three people.
As a safe bet, figure each person in your party at $50-55/FULL day/person and $25-30/HALF day/person, and you should be in the ballpark.

Should there be a large call for people diving on the PM boat, i dont mind sitting it out to make costs cheaper, but i cant be sure who is staying yet - but it looks close to a full boat. Looks like the morning might have a little room, but not too bad, just not jammed full.

Wow, don't get around to the i-net for 2 days a ya never know what you'll come back too!!! The weather should be awesome this weekend. Nice and sunny. DO bring towels/warm jacket, DON'T bring huge coolers and gigantic bags of stuff. I'll provide some sodas/water in a built in cooler on my boat. There will be a little room in the cooler if anybody "special" needs to bring something else. If anybody has a thermos, bring it and fill it with coffee from Cravings.....really good coffee!!! However, anyone deciding to participate in the "Nude Manatee Tour" will not be administerd hot coffee for hypothermia...unless no one likes you.... :eyebrow: Just kiddin', maybe...... I anticipate leaving the dock around 7:30. It will be a little chilly outside that morning. I recommending wearing your swim suit and wetsuit to Cravings rather than trying to put it on while underway. A rabid manatee might hit the boat with tremendous speed and knock you over while putting it on. It will take about 15-20 minutes to get to the first manatee site. I will anchor the boat, and you guys will get in the water. Like Simon said, the Tees will come to you. They are very playful in the morning. I am anticipating ~16-18 people. Will stay in 2 groups and see how many will come to play at that site. After 45 min- 1 hr (whenever we get ready) we will go find another manatee harbour. We are really not on a set schedule, but will be back at the dock around lunch time.

As far as the afternoon dive, I figure we will leave around 1 pm and like Ken said get back before 6pm. I have room for 10 tanks on my boat, but we can cram more in if we need, but I doubt we will need more. I really haven't got a clue on how many divers want to go out that afternoon, but we can figure that out Saturday morning. From the e-mails I've recieved, probably 8-10 divers. That will be one boat. Don't stress over it, I'll make it work for everyone, No one will have to sit out.

I have 1 more boat and captain other than myself for the morning 9afternoon if needed. From the e-mails I've received, I think I have 16 confirmations for the tee tour as of today. We'll space out on the 2 boats and make it more comfty.

Ken, definately bring the banner, and we'll hang it somewhere. See you guys saturday, 7am.

ok, in honor of the coming Manatee Snorkel, I have penned this poem which I
shall now share with you all for your greater enlightment and delight:

UNIQUE MAGNUS OPUS No. 322
(sung to the tune of "I Have A Green Fedora")

I am a Manatee
do come along for tea
you can sit on my knee
and sing along with me

Biting i'll seldom try
tickling will make me cry
my jokes are nevery dry
and i will serve you rye

Hey everyone,
Looks like I'm not going to be able to hunt sea cow with you guys and gals. I'm being forced to attend my office Christmas party. Happy hunting and stay warm.
back40

You will be surprised to know that my ear has been playing strange on me this week, hoping it clears up before saturday. If not i am only snorkeling. I have been around a lot of cold carrying people in the last week or so, so it could be something coming on.

Simon, I will bring a wire clothes hanger and we can ream those nasties right out of your ear! As for me, Maneater, Lil' B, and Gibbon, looks like we'll all be snorkeling. Less gear for such a shallow dive anyway. It will also mean more room for people in the afternoon, since we're not dragging tanks & such with us. Just the harpoon gun for the BBQ feast! Well, that, the seventeen coolers of cheap booze and the explos.. I MEANT,... fishing gear!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom