manatee diving in central florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darkmoon3d

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm doing family trip to Orlando next week and am looking for any sort of manatee diving/snorkeling available within under hour drive of Orlando. Finding that Crystal River is most popular but is over 1.5 hours away. I'm only certified diver in family so doubtful scuba would be an option. Plus read scuba isn't popular with manatees. Nephews are aged between 4-9 years old so also doubtful they would have much to do for their age group. Any recommendations on anything I could check into?

I'm doing family trip to Orlando next week and am looking for any sort of manatee diving/snorkeling available within under hour drive of Orlando. Finding that Crystal River is most popular but is over 1.5 hours away. I'm only certified diver in family so doubtful scuba would be an option. Plus read scuba isn't popular with manatees. Nephews are aged between 4-9 years old so also doubtful they would have much to do for their age group. Any recommendations on anything I could check into?

Scuba is very popular with Manatees. However, you have missed Manatee season. I'm not sure where you could find them this time of year. They usually congregate in the springs during the winter because the Ocean temps are colder than 72. Now, the ocean and gulf temps are 80 degrees, so they are a bit scarce at the springs.

your best chance of swimming with manatees right now would be at hospital hole. they tend to got there when there hurt, but they are headed back towards open water and hospital hole is over 2 hours from Orlando.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

do the 1.5 hr trip to Crystal River. Check out Birds Underwater for more information. They take pontoon boats out. Like others have mentioned, you have pretty much missed the manatee season, but there may be a few resident manatees there year round.. And they will be able to accommodate the kids too..
Oh snorkeling is recommended. Sometimes manatees are frightened by the dive bubbles.

Was just down there a month ago beginning of May at Crystal River, and yes it is too late for getting wet.
The area wasn't clear pristine backcountry I expected until you got into Three Sister Spring (being developed for conservation, but only accessible by water now).

We saw 4 manatees swimming free while kayaking open water and a large male went under my kayak three times, while a female and calf were tooling around the dock for two hours.
Just missed one off beach at John Pennekamp while snorkeling ...went nose to nose with another visitor, and another was just off dock at Moon Bay Marina at Key Largo on bay side.

HOWEVER, I really have a terrific suggestion, but you won't be getting wet...well worth the trip and spending 4 hours there with camera in hand ...there is a State Park (really a zoo) which currently has four rehab manatees and 4 permanent residents ...and an underwater observation platform (goes down 30 ft into spring) ...when we were viewing, there were 75 snook up to 30 pounds, schools of other fish large and small, and the manatees tool around at their pleasure.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

there is a inexpensive kayak/canoe rental place at Kings Bay about a mile away ...$35/day and they had singles and doubles

A wonderful suggestion above, just look out for the hippo dung..............Homosassa is an amazing place and doesn't cost an arm OR a leg. Stay in the motel next door and walk over to the park.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom