manatee diving/snorkeling in Crystal River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

torchma

New
Reaction score
I've googled my question but can't seem to find an answer. I was hoping to go snorkeling or diving near manatees in the Crystal River area. I know that this is typically done from a boat, but I don't have a boat and I also read that the 3 sisters spring is accessible without a boat. However, I can't figure out 1) whether or not 3 sisters is closed at this time of year, and 2) where exactly I would park. You search for manatee information and all you get is information about private tours. Are there any alternatives to Crystal River within 1.5 hours of Gainesville where you can dive/snorkel near manatees without a boat? Thank you.

I was at three sisters two weeks ago and it was closed for the winter. However, you can snorkel in the canal just outside the springs. Manatees swim in and out of the closed off area. You wouldn't want to get in the spring when it's full of manatees anyway. There are manatees on top of manatees on top of manatees.

I think the area around the spring (on land) is a park, but there's no way I could see of accessing the canal from the park in the areas near the spring. We rented a kayak and parked it on the side of the canal while we swam around.

I live in Crystal River. You can park on the back side of Pizza Hut and cross the road and slip into the canal and swim a few hundred yards and be in the out put of Three Sister's spring. The water is in the low 70s which feels great this time of year, but will get you cold fairly quick. I'd recommend a wetsuit but you could do it without one. You will see hundreds of manatees. I check this site so if you have nay other questions shot them to me. Another place is Hunter Spring there are manatees in the area often its got good parking and you swim right in, but Three Sister is a sure bet. Not sure of the manatee tour going rates, but a short swim can be done for free on your own schedule.

I've used American Pro Dive out of Crystal River and had a good experience. It is challenging to get to the manatees without some sort of boat. I prefer to use my kayaks. Manatees can be found in the Santa Fe river where the Itchetucknee connects almost year round. They can also be found in most of the Suwannee river springs this time of year too. They will line up pretty thick in the river at Manatee Springs SP (no diving or snorkeling when manatees present though). If you go to Rock Bluff when the weather is chilly, you'll find them there too. There is also a city park in Crystal River called Hunter Springs Park. The manatees also come in there and its an easy shore dive/snorkel.

I've used American Pro Dive out of Crystal River and had a good experience. It is challenging to get to the manatees without some sort of boat. I prefer to use my kayaks. Manatees can be found in the Santa Fe river where the Itchetucknee connects almost year round. They can also be found in most of the Suwannee river springs this time of year too. They will line up pretty thick in the river at Manatee Springs SP (no diving or snorkeling when manatees present though). If you go to Rock Bluff when the weather is chilly, you'll find them there too. There is also a city park in Crystal River called Hunter Springs Park. The manatees also come in there and its an easy shore dive/snorkel.
How sure are you on the closing of manatee springs? I didn't see anything about it on the FL state park site, and some of the other springs specifically mention this.

How sure are you on the closing of manatee springs? I didn't see anything about it on the FL state park site, and some of the other springs specifically mention this.
I've seen it quoted on a sign in the park office at Manatee Springs.

---------- Post added January 31st, 2014 at 09:24 PM ----------

Three Sister's spring was scheduled to open back up to the public today at noon according to the Citrus County Chronicle. The article mentioned that the springs are closed on very cold to allow the manatees full access.

Three Sisters was open last Monday and will be open whenever it is warm. Park Service closes it when the manatees pile up in the really cold weather, giving them refuge from visitors, but as mentioned above, they are piled up and silt the place out when it is closed in any case.

Gotcha. Any idea on when they typically open manatee springs? I'm hoping to check it out in early-mid march.

Well I'd like to post back to answer my own question. I called the park and they do not close in the winter due to manatees. They are currently open and usually open year round.

They used to close, but don't now.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom