Manatee presence at Crystal River last weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thedaddy

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been busy with work and I would really like to get wet this weekend (seems like I've missed every SB outing this winter).

I was thinking of taking the family up to Crystal River this weekend to see the manatees. I've never been up there this late in the year and I was wondering if there are still a lot of them in the area. I'd heard they are year-round to some degree, but someone just recently mentioned they are migrating back out to the ocean (seems counter-intuitive with the Gulf in the 60's, but I confess my ignorance on the subject). Did anyone go last weekend or know someone who did that can give first/second hand info?

I'm going to call Birds Underwater to check also, but I thought maybe someone had gone in the last week or so.

I was down just two weeks ago this Fri. not bad had 3-4 just swimming around us.I went with American pro.me and my wife had a good time. you have to go 1st thing in the am.no later then 8am.they say thats the best time to see them.Hope you go, have fun!

I was there 2 weekends ago. There were not a ton of manatees in Kings Bay, but we headed over to Three Sister's springs there were probablay 5 or 6. One was back in the spring area just chillin' for about 15 or 20 mintues. We were with some friends who had never seen on before so they were really excited. If you are comfortable on a boat, I would look into renting a boat instead of doing the charters. But getting there early in the morning is the key to seeing them.

I was there on the 4th. Had lots of manatees around. Some really friendly. Most disappeared when a large boat of snorkelers showed up around 10am. We dove at that point.
We left with American Pro at 730a that morning to do the snorkel. Had a really good time with the manatees.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom