manatee/ shuttle launch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi everyone, me and my family will be in orlando area at the start of Feb. anyone recommend and snorkel with the manatee company in crystal river area? also a shuttle launch is supposed to happen when we r down there, can anyone recommend a good place to view the lauch from?

Manatee Hammock is a great place to view it from. Jetty Park is also a good place. I've camped at both places to see a shuttle, but both times I was there the launch was scrubbed. I did get to see a night launch of a spy satellite, very cool!

The best viewing option: Call NASA at 866-737-5235 and buy a ticket to go out to NASA Causeway for the launch. Tickets are $56/adults and $45/under 11 years old.

The best free viewing option: Head a little north to Titusville and get to Space View Park at least three hours prior to the launch for a line of sight viewing of the launch pad and the launch itself.

There's also an Atlas V launch scheduled two days after the shuttle launch that will be impressive.

The best viewing option: Call NASA at 866-737-5235 and buy a ticket to go out to NASA Causeway for the launch. Tickets are $56/adults and $45/under 11 years old.

The best free viewing option: Head a little north to Titusville and get to Space View Park at least three hours prior to the launch for a line of sight viewing of the launch pad and the launch itself.

There's also an Atlas V launch scheduled two days after the shuttle launch that will be impressive.

we called and were told that the tickets are sold out, so i guess we will try for a spot at spaceview park, unless a fellow scubaboarder has a good view from their place and is willing to share :crafty:

hi everyone, me and my family will be in orlando area at the start of Feb. anyone recommend and snorkel with the manatee company in crystal river area?
You could consider renting a pontoon boat yourself. Most manatee tours charge $35+. This place (that also rents pontons) just takes you out on their big pontoon, don't get in the water with you, and charges $15. Not sure how good their $15 tour is though.

A few years ago we went with one company that was pretty good. Have to dig to find it.

Manatee Snorkel. Go with a guide so you Do It Right and not molest them.

Way back in 1996-2002 I would drive across Hwy 50 and eat at a place with a huge east facing window and watch the launch from there.. I do not remember the name or to I know if it is even still open.

On base watch is like leaving the Daytona 500 two hours per 3 miles.

Launch Viewing: Where & How to Watch, View and See Space Shuttle Launches Has a wealth of info--there are a lot of free places to watch along the river in Titusville from route 50 north to Spaceview Park, several miles of possibilities--our favorite costs $10. to park though-a very convienient BBQ place about half a mile north of 50 on the river. I first saw this on the site above...............

hi everyone, me and my family will be in orlando area at the start of Feb. anyone recommend and snorkel with the manatee company in crystal river area? also a shuttle launch is supposed to happen when we r down there, can anyone recommend a good place to view the lauch from?

I would try Nature Coast Manatee Tours good reports!
Swim With The Manatees, Free Manatee DVD Video, Nature Coast Manatee Tours Swim With Florida Manatees Crystal River, Homosassa

I noticed that the shuttle launch is scheduled for Feb 7 at about 4:30AM, ouch. Nite launches are reaaaaallly interesting though. The Vehicle Assembly Building and the launch pad will be brightly lit and recognizable from along the river in Titusville.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom