Manatee Springs in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hambleto

Club Web Master
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry to post to your group, but I am sure if anyone knows you will. What is the weather like in Manatee springs in January? What kind of suit would be needed to dive there? Up here you need a dry suit by then (unless you are very brave). What are the chances of getting close to a manatee? I do not mean touching them or diving near them, but how likely would I and my GF be to see them while we are there? Thank you for your time and reading this.
Take care!
Ben

Manatee, like most (all?) Florida springs, is a nearly constant temperature all year long. Most in th e"cave country" have temps of about 70F, definite wetsuit conditions, but I am quite comfy in a 3mm suit with 5mm hooded vest for cavern/cave, and basin diving is usually OK with just a 3mm wetsuit(maybe a 3mm hood). Be warned that travelling beyond the basin could expose you to river water, which is much colder in the winter (well, probably only down to about 60F, but that feels really cold when you've gotten used to 70!). I remember being over Devil's Ear in January a few years ago and gasping hugely when I drifted into the browner and much colder waters of the Santa Fe river.

I haven't tried very hard to see Manatees in the water, but I don't believe Manatee spings actually has that many manatees anymore, if it ever did. That would be for someone else to answer. I think Crystal River is the best venue for manatees.

Good luck and hey, if you're there near Christmas, maybe we can dive together! PM me! I am itching to get wet again!

As for the general weather, we central Florida folks say if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes! It could be 30F or 80F, and you probably won't get a reliable prediction until a week or two before the date, and then only "It'll be cold" (30-60) or "It'll be warm" (55 and up) until you get to the 5 day forecast that is always SO accurate! :wink:

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. It does not sound that bad there at all. Unfortunetly I will not be there till the middle of January, but I will PM you if things change.

Ummm... besides "what he said" I don't have much to say.

If you're looking for Manatees you could call the park ahead of time and they should be able to tell you if they've seen any lately, and Crystal River is definitely your best shot to see them (I went last winter with Byrd's Underwater and it was great, would highly recommend it).

Ben

that they close Manatee Springs if any 'Tees come in. I thought that was what the ranger said last weekend when I was there, but I wasn't paying too much attention. Crystal River or Homosassa Springs are your best bets. You don't want to scuba with them, just snorkle. Familiarize yourself with the rules of engagement for 'Tees before you get in the water.:D

Far as I know being in the water when Manatees are actually at Manatee Springs is not allowed....that said, they are rarely there! I always have great manatee trips with Byrd's Underwater in Crystal River...they get out on the river at least an hour before the other shops open up, good photo ops.

Weather will most likely be very pleasant for you..60's during the day..unless we get a front come through the week you are here! But the spring temp will be approx. 72 degrees, with the Gulf and river temps considerably colder.

The colder it is in Florida more likely to encounter manatees in the Crystal River. The manatees migrate to the Crystal River, especially next to the power plants(or was it a nuclear reactor? As for touching manatees I think the rule usually is let the manatees make the first move.

Hambleto,

If you want to try to work up a trip together, my wife and I (B'ham) and another couple from Atlanta are wanting to go in January.

I'm going to do another post and try to determine the most logistical hotel and best guide if necessary.

Let me know if you are interested.

Beck

does anyone have any contact info for the dive shops around crystal river, and suggestions. i might be thinking of seeing the manatees in january as well
thanks
craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom