Manatees are no longer endangered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
Although some are delighted at the news of Manatees being downgraded from endangered to threatened on the the Endangered Species list some are concerned that the reclassification will seriously undermine the chances of securing the manatee's long-term survival. See number 9 to Read More.

upload_2017-4-12_20-0-35.png

Last edited:
thanks for the info.....great photo above...

I wouldn't worry too much. Manatee have been in great shape for almost two decades. Of course society wasn't made aware of this at the time.

In 1996 I was in the plane that conducted the counts for the manatee population. I don't remember the numbers, but I remember that when we wrote them down, the official number recorded was about 20% of the actual number counted. I inquired about the discrepancy and was told it was necessary to keep focus on preservation.

I'm sure it wasn't the first time or last time that happened. What I am certain of is the the danger has been blown out of proportion for years.

There's an article in this months FL Sportsman about manatees and their come back. They have reached a population density where they are destroying their habitat. Too many manatees and they are eating up the vegetation before it has a chance to grow back.

Which brings up a different question about their declining habitat.
There was a great quote on NG a few years ago: When man plays with nature, nature usually fight back.
Every habitat comes on expense of some other habitat. If we expand manatee's habitats, whose else's are we going to take.
DISCLAIMER: I would LOVE to dive with manatees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom