Manatees - Crystal or Homosassa River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jisou:
hey. we just went to blue spring state park in january - and had a GREAT manatee experience. it's close to orlando and you just get to WALK into the water (yay!).

i've always heard of crystal river, but am not sure where it is in relation to orlando.. if this is closer, it was a great time!

pics/review at my blog (scroll - this is the whole month of january):
http://estacey.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_estacey_archive.html

st

At Blue Springs (if you are talking about the State Park) you are not alllowed to get within (I believe) 50 feet of any manatee...At Crystal River , you can scratch em !!!!
I've snokeled (and dove) their twice now and haven't seen any other critters besides homo sapiens , manatees and fishes...

Jean

My wife and I rented a Jon boat from Crystal Lodge Dive Center (next to the Best Western) www.manatee-central.com for about $10 per hour. They also do the tours if you would rather go that route. I can't speak to the other locations, but I will say that Kings Hole in Crystal River was unbelievably cool. You don't have to go look for the manatees, they'll find you. Within in moments the first one swam up to us offering its belly for a scratch. Within moments of the first encounter there were about a dozen, all vying for attention. Way cool.

The only reptiles I saw in Rainbow River were turtles. Lots of turtles.

I decided to try Homosassa for the manatee snorkeling -- is near Crystal river but shallower and apparently less crowds. In the afternoon am going with American Pro Dive for a drift dive in Rainbow River. Will report afterwards, assuming am not eaten by alligators, bitten by poisonous snakes, etc.

Hal

We did the Rainbow River drift dive. It's a slow current, which is good. It took us an hour from beginning to end. And we stopped quite a few times to check out the fish and turtles. Make sure you stop by the "island" and check out the gar. It's pretty cool how they just hang over the grass. We didn't see any gators or snakes, but it you do, snap some photos! :D

If I do see the gators or the snakes, I'm more likely to release biological weapons than I am to take pictures!

Hal:
If I do see the gators or the snakes, I'm more likely to release biological weapons than I am to take pictures!

ROTFL!!

Sideband:
Check out American Pro dive shop. I just did both places with them and we had good luck at both. They will know where the best interaction is taking place since they cover both locations. If you do go with them ask for Mike (with hair <g>). He is great. Tell him Capt. America said hello. (I often dive with a r/w/b bandana)

Joe

Last summer we went with American Pro Dive Shop. They took us to Homosassa River to snorkel with the Manatees and then did King's Spring. We also did the Rainbow River drift dive, which was alot of fun. We found alot of Gar around the small grassy island. One thing about the Rianbow River is its narrow and the other boating traffic can't give you the required safety distance, so do not become seperated from your group. Also the depth is always changing so listen for any boats nearby. I liked the guys at the American Pro Dive Shop so I signed up for some extra dives they were offering. They took us to Blue Grato and Devil's Den. Overall it was a good time. Have fun!

The winter months. They start showing up around October and head back out around April.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom