March 20th, Destin dive report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol i'm not about to post my pitiful pics after yours :) And they were hard (at least for me) to get a decent picture of as they blended into the sand. and it's all sand now. Looks like it's trying to recover from the repairs from the last year or so but it's slow.

It was a nice change but the boats unnerve me. I always worry that those boaters don't know what a dive flag means and the average deph where we were was about 14 feet. deepest at one point was 20.

but we'll be glad for you to go with us anytime. Since the boat motor isn't fixed yet, looks like we'll be doing shore dives or traveling. Maybe in a few weeks it will be at least Vortex temp. But i would always trade an opportunity to get a picture of a sting ray than a pipe fish

ok, i'll add this one because it was pretty cool to come up on the jug, not the quality of the picture. Inside there is a fish that i kept seeing with stone crabs. not sure what he is and you can barely see him in the picture but the jug was cool looking. of course i wanted to take it with me but since there was life in it (and a large hole on the side lol)
198899_10150134006024801_740614800_6255001_7429299_n.jpg

and yes the water was this green on Friday. but we may not be working the tide right yet either

How did you like the DMC-GH1?

Amazing camera. Image quality is not that much better than the LX-5, but the video is as good as any HD camera I have seen. 10Bar case is sort of a small box, that I thought would be hard to hold (no hand grip), but it turned out to be easy.

Focus speed is way faster than any point and shoot (although I have long since gotten around that issue).

Having a very nice shutter button is also nice. A half depress is easy.

Next dive will try the macro lens and see how it does, but I expect good things.

I would easily trade all my stingray images for one really good pipe fish. I believe I have seen 3 pipe fish in deep water in the last 20 years or so...and only have images of two of them, and don't think any are great. I see stingrays at least every other dive.

I am jealous you got to see some.

Jim

lol i'm not about to post my pitiful pics after yours :) And they were hard (at least for me) to get a decent picture of as they blended into the sand. and it's all sand now. Looks like it's trying to recover from the repairs from the last year or so but it's slow.

It was a nice change but the boats unnerve me. I always worry that those boaters don't know what a dive flag means and the average deph where we were was about 14 feet. deepest at one point was 20.

but we'll be glad for you to go with us anytime. Since the boat motor isn't fixed yet, looks like we'll be doing shore dives or traveling. Maybe in a few weeks it will be at least Vortex temp. But i would always trade an opportunity to get a picture of a sting ray than a pipe fish

We are planning a trip to Destin in July. Any dive op there I should look into to book a dive? I have been there but it was many years ago.

There are two dive ops in Destin, Scubatec and Emerald coast Scuba... they are both on Hy 98 and about half a mile from each other.

Emerald Coast's boat is a bit slower but is a bit less of a sea sickness maker.

Scubatec's boat is faster, allows spear fishing (depending on the location), but sits higher out of the water.

I dive with both of them, good people at both places.

There are two dive ops in Destin, Scubatec and Emerald coast Scuba... they are both on Hy 98 and about half a mile from each other.

Emerald Coast's boat is a bit slower but is a bit less of a sea sickness maker.

Scubatec's boat is faster, allows spear fishing (depending on the location), but sits higher out of the water.

I dive with both of them, good people at both places.

Great information! Thanks. I have only been sea sick once but it was no fun. Caught a huge Yellowfin though right after I stopped vomiting! :shakehead:

... Inside there is a fish that i kept seeing with stone crabs. not sure what he is and you can barely see him in the picture ...
198899_10150134006024801_740614800_6255001_7429299_n.jpg

Just taking a wild stab at the fish ID:

If it had a couple long "whiskers" near the mouth and some white dots along the side, it may have been a southern hake.

51206hake.jpg

20090314-P3148990.jpg

If it had a white stripe between its two eyes and looked a little "cross eyed" it might have been a soapfish.

709j7.jpg

89j14.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom