Mares Abyss hose problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to change the hoses on my 2003 Mares MR22/Abyss to a DIR config. Everything went well until I got to the primary 2nd stage hose, which was ironically the last hose I had to change. When I get the old one off I notice that on the 1st stage the LP port for the primary hose is larger than the other 3 LP ports and has a metal nipple on the inside, and thus the new long hose I have won't fit. Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, how did you find a long hose that would work? Thanks

A

You can go the 1/2" hose route or if you want, plug up that hole and use the other standard 3/8" port for the primary hose. Going with the standard hose size might save you a few bucks as well since they are more available as well as make your rig more standard and have parts in a pinch amongst your peers.

I also stock the special Mares hoses in 5 and 7 foot lenghts. You really don't want to use the 3/8 ports - they don't have the output that the DFC port does.

Red Sea Shadow:
Would you please mention the advantages of the DFC port over the regular 3/8" ones?

The way the internal porting in the reg is set up, it is more directly ported to the seat opening so air can get there faster, and in higer volume than the other ports. Combine the better internal porting, the larger bore hose, and that's why the abyss did a 1050 foot dive with no modification.

Im thinking about getting the 05 abyss reg. Can I change the hose from the standard hose to a 7 foot long hose without any problem?

Jorbar1551:
Im thinking about getting the 05 abyss reg. Can I change the hose from the standard hose to a 7 foot long hose without any problem?

I think it's possible but you should ping Scuba Toys first. He's the expert here :)
BTW, excellent reg. Congratulations.

Scuba Toys may I add a question?
I have an old Dacor Pacer Aero octopus with the specific Dacor 1/2" hose. The connection between the second stage and the hose is not standard (I think that's a Dacor philosophy). Now I need to use this hose on a 3/8" port but I can't change the hose to a regular 3/8" because of this specific connection. Please advise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom