Mares Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oka5150

New
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a new Regulator Mares Abyss..Anybody know anything about them????Good or bad....Quality...

Not that I am biased or anything, but the Abyss received rave reviews from Rodales, ScubaLab and DiveOz. Came in as 2nd best all purpose reg behind the Apex ATX200. Don't take my word for it. Look it up in ScubaDiving.com or DiveOz.com.au.

Only one comment from me, is that the second stage is a little heavy out of the water. The first stage is awesome.

Just my 2 cents.

Dive Smart, Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:mean:

Hi Oka

i had a Mares Abbys. At the time I was very new to scuba. I hated breathing out of my mares. It breathed cold! (not wet, cold!).
I hated it for this, but i did nt know actually, it just did nt feel comfortable.

Directly after i finished my OW course i dove with a friend. It was about 7 degree's (celcius i think) and not very light. Guess what? Freeflow, man scared the SH*T out of me.... Just finished my OW course! I was scared as hell.. you know the sound of a freeflow? You dont wanna know? Best chance is to get a reg. that is specially designed for cold waters.. Apeks for instance. There are others but now i know more on reg's. I like the apeks. I service them my self (with the help of a friend by the way, i am still relatively new).
BTW: just buying a good reg is no gaurantee against freeflow ... good maintainance, proper handeling, pressure settings etc...

Anyway for me no more abyss. MARES thank you f*** you..
no bias though i still use my head radicall on tennis courts :D (Mares is a part of head! www.head.com )

greetings, Xerxes

p.s: There are ALOT of other reasons to buy Apeks. Check the website. I have a couple of them mostly 200's

xerxes once bubbled...
Directly after i finished my OW course i dove with a friend. It was about 7 degree's (celcius i think) and not very light. Guess what? Freeflow, man scared the SH*T out of me.... Just finished my OW course! I was scared as hell.. you know the sound of a freeflow? You dont wanna know? Best chance is to get a reg. that is specially designed for cold waters.. Apeks for instance. There are others but now i know more on reg's. I like the apeks. I service them my self (with the help of a friend by the way, i am still relatively new).
BTW: just buying a good reg is no gaurantee against freeflow ... good maintainance, proper handeling, pressure settings etc...

Did you have the cold water kit installed on your abyss, or did you just jump in the water with it? If you are comparing your abyss with no cold water kit against a reg setup for cold water, that's not a very good basis for comparison.

Also, do you really need all the cursing to get your point across? It doesn't really make you sound more learned on the subject or anything... :rolleyes:

Hi

yes CWD installed right after i purchased the reg.
Pressure well below the (maximum) recommended pressure. And still freeflow. But then again a couple of other friends of mine who also had purchased the abbys sold it right after my accident, because their reg had also difficulties.

you are right: no more cursin, i am not angry anymore what happend is happend ... past :D

greetings, Xerxes

I use a Ruby, which is basically the same reg as the Abyss. I had a freeflow problem after having it serviced, but a simple adjustment to the 2nd. stage fixed that.
Otherwise, no problems down to 39 defrees F. My favorite reg.

I dive one (no CWD). Great reg! And not overly expensive too. Also easy to service...
The only possible concern is "jaw fatigue" due to stiffness of the original LP hose and/or somewhat heavier second stage. Not a problem for me, but I’ve heard people complain about it and I sort of can understand why... Can be solved by using longer/shorter/less stiff LP hose and/or fancy mouthpiece.

P.S. Abyss IS designed for cold water. I did dive it in 5-6 C on many occasions, no problems, even without the cold water kit.

Most of the personel at the dive center where I hang around use it. (Most because I use SP)
I dived with it several times and never a problem.

I think that today you can get the Abyss 1st stage with the Proton as 2nd stage so it's not heavy.

Pearce & I have been using Abyss regs with Axis octos. Other than having to replace the HP seat in the octo recently, no other problems to report.

They breath well in any orientation (upside down, sideways, whatever) and deliver air nicely at all depths. So far ours have been in temps down to about 50F; salt & fresh water.

~SubMariner~

Hello,

I know that any reg incorrectly serviced/set will cause problems, it doesn't matter as to make/model.

I dive the classic mr-22 non-TI, non-ruby as a primary reg and rainreg services it for me. I can tell you this, of all the reg's i've used there is nothing better. I also have an apeks tx-50 I use on my stages. Both the tx-50 and mr-22 are awsome top performers.

Keep in mind the mr-22 was designed to pass all navy testing.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom