Mares Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of people at my LDS use the Abyss and I had a chance to take one out a few weeks ago. It's a nice reg and it's been really cold tolerant around here even without the CW kit. I had problems with my V16, but the Abyss seems like a solid performer. I'm diving Scubapro now and I'm very happy with it.

Rachel

dont take xerxes advice.

I own two mares abyss's both have environmental kits. I dive in lake michigan where the temps are 35-41 at the bottom all year around. Never had a free flow. Ever. I do about 125 dives a year and so do a group of my buddies. None of us have any problem with flows.

I also own several apeks DS4 TX50s and scuba pro G250 MK25's. ALL are great regs. The abyss breathes better than all of them. The only downsides to the abyss are the 1st stages are really heavy, and the 2nd stage covers dont come off without tools.

Any reg will flow under the right condtions. If you breath them above water under cold condtions, or wail on the inflater all the way down you are going to have a problem.

Cold breathing Abyss? Come on XERXES. My apeks doesnt breath any warmer. Last time I checked I was breathing compressed air, which means it is cold and dry...

Achtung

I bought one after OW training with the intent of using it for some ocean work off of Thailand next year. With about 20 dives now, I absolutely love how it breathes.

Last weekend, I did a quick deep dive down to 90 ft to check the regulators and octo balancing, and the new 5 mil package protection. I couldn't feel any difference at all between surface and 3 ATM's for either the Abyss and the Axis.

I DO have a problem with the crappy mouthpeice and stiff/long hose. My jaw really does get tired after a long dive. It would be GREAT with a swivel and a softer mouthpeice.

James

Your right I forgot to mention that but I do not have the standard hoses or mouth pieces on. THe MR22 has a 1/2" port which translates to a thick stiff hose. You can get softer more flexible aftermarket hoses or you can buy a 1/2" to 3/8 port adapter and put a nice supple hose on the reg. You dont need a swivel just a better hose! The standard mouthpiece is not good. I actually like scubapro's mouth pieces so I use those. I have dove this reg to 250' and it so smooth. Hose routing is good on a single tank, OK on doubles. The Apeks have the second best hose routing on doubles and Scubapro MK25's have the cleanest hose routing of any of them.

I have two Mares Abyss regs for my doubles. Love 'em! I agree tho about the jaw fatique....I've gotten around that by switching out the mouthpiece for one of those "orthodontic" mouthpieces that my LDS sells....at first I thought they were a bit of overkill, but I was pleasantly surprised at the comfort they provided.

Hello,

OH Yes the seacure II's makes for a better diver all around.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom