Mares Airlock - any Oz users?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bilby

Reaction score
Have seen some recent discussion about this Mares Airlock which uses air pressure from BC hose to tighten tank strap.
Gimmicky nonsense or useful equipment?
How much does it cost down under in Oz?
:confused:

Thanks for any replies to this.

Hi, Bilby!

Well, we saw one once and thought it worth a try. We discovered at least two problems:

(1) If you are on a boat where the crew sets up your gear, you have to train them and they can get it wrong. If they do get it wrong, there you are in the water with no really good way to tighten your loose tank.

(2) If something goes wrong with the air lock while you are in the water you cannot just have a buddy tighten up your strap.

We had both experiences on a three-week trip. The good news: we sent the Airlock back and got a full refund. But it sure looks neat when you put your hose on the Airlock and it snugs that strap right up--sadly, looks are not everything!

Scorpionfish

Mmmmm - thanks Scorpionfish for that cautionary tale.
I had understood that strap could be tightened manually....your comments are interesting & a cause for a pause...

=-)

Hi, again, Bilby!

We tried the Airlock last year: maybe they had enough complaints that they improved the design and added a manual feature? If so, that would make it more desireable. When I returned ours, I suggested that.

One other item: if your BC has a secondary strap, that would make the use of the Airlock more "failsafe". But, then why go to all the trouble to get this clever little device? As I said it is a neat gadget, but in the long run, it is overkill for a very simple process, tightening and securing a strap!

Scorpionfish

Back
Top Bottom